Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forums need some help with a rio i just purchased. I paid 1500 for a 05 blue rio5 5speed with 60,000 miles. It stopped working for the gentleman while going down a road, and ever since then every time you try and turn the key it only makes a very loud click noise. My father was on the outside of the car and said the alternator was working fine it can't turn over tho. Anytips would be very appreciated, or even if need be where i can get the best motor for the best price.. There are not a lot on ebay, and very expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some other notes, the timing belt looks fine. has a lot of tension, my father is thinking it slipped (but no evidence) and now the pistons and everything are stuck. We put it in first gear, and tried to start it.. it didn't jump it didn't budge a inch but there is power there.

·
Registered
'03 Kia Rio (kid's), '00 Viper GTS, '05 325ci, '08 Yukon
4 Posts
You don't give a lot of details, but the timing belts frequently fail on these cars. When the timing belt fails, pistons crash into valves making a big mess of the engine. See if you can turn the engine over by hand (put a socket on the bolt inside the crank pulley and turn). If you cannot turn it, it is likely the timing belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even if the belt slipped more than a few teeth, pistons will contact valves causing significant damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry about the lack of details don't know what else to give, i will try and turn the engine by hand. So if i can turn it does that mean the engine is safe?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would recommend removing the spark plugs - it is easy as they are right on top. This will allow the engine to be rotated by hand much more easily. If you can turn the engine two full revolutions (of the crank) without any strange sounds or obstruction, that means your pistons aren't hitting the valves - that is a good sign but is not conclusive that the engine safe.

When you rotate the crank, you will hear air bing pushed out of the spark plug holes. Don't worry about that. Listen for any metalic sounds or feel for anything that stops you from being able to rotate the crank. Those two things are bad signs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the engine turns over freely, I would pull the covers off of the timing belt to see if the crank and cam gears are all properly aligned (do a search for replacing the timing belt - there are about a million threads on the topic). If you can rotate the motor without obstruction, and the timing marks on the crank gear and the cam gears are all aligned, then the engine is ok and you need to look for another problem.

HOWEVER, be sure to change your timing belt now since you have to do half of the work of changing it just to be able to check that the timing is all aligned. These belts break FREQUENTLY and you are right at the mileage where they start to go. The belts should be changed ad 60K miles.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
You have to get under the car near the passenger front wheel well, and put a 17mm (I think?) socket on the crank bolt. Use breaker bar to see if it will roll over. Removing plugs makes it roll over much easier. If it scrapes and scuffs or won't turn, you have a paperweight for an engine. (Obviously, if it is a manual tranny you need to put her in neutral.)
Even if you are able to roll it over, you could have considerable damage with bent valves, and cracked pistons. Sounds like it is one of the many that jumped time. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts