Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a little background. I bought my ‘05 Kia Rio from the previous owner after the hood came unlatched on the freeway resulting in a smashed windshield, flattened roof, destroyed hood, bent fender (he bounced off the middle divider) and damaged door. I’ve done all the body work myself. The car starts and runs good but has a little hesitation on initial acceleration and isn’t getting very good gas mileage. The check engine light was on and showing the code P0130 (O2 Circuit Bank 1, Sensor 1) DTC Severity 2 of 3). So far I have replaced the Upstream O2 Sensor, new spark plugs, wires, coil pack, air filter, oil and filter change, new battery, checked the exhaust system for leaks, checked for vacuum leaks, flushed the radiator, had the water pump and timing belt replaced and replaced the plug going to the O2 sensor as it was dry, cracked and showing wires through the insulation. The most recent things done were the water pump, timing belt and plug replacement. It is still throwing the same code and is actually running worse. Now when I give the engine a light rev and let off the gas, it stalls but starts right back up. So, my question is, does anyone have any suggestion as to what I should do with this car? Short of putting a .45 slug through the block? LOL. If I had any hair I would be pulling it out. HELP!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
IF all work done was done correctly(timing marks spot on), it COULD have a plugged up converter from symptoms you describe. After all it's 14 years old. Does the exhaust flow out the tailpipe seem weak in flow force if you put your hand near the tailpipe and someone accelerate the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, sorry for the delay in responding. Yes the exhaust flow is good and after replacing the universal O2 sensor with an oem version, and starting another trip cycle, the check engine light cam on within a quarter mile. Connected the OBDII to the car and came up with 2 new codes: P0132 and P0031. After causing myself a concussion from banging my head into the wall (not really. LOL) I did some troubleshooting and found that the replacement plug for the sensor had a different wiring color code. After I reattached the plug, CORRECTLY, No check engine light. Just took it for another Trip Cycle and the check engine light still hasn't come on, BUT, it is showing a PENDING P0030. Also, the 4 monitors have not come online as of yet. The Catalyst Monitor, Evap. Monitor, O2S Monitor and the O2S Heater Monitor. Is it common for it to show a Pending O2S Heater Control Circuit code before the O2S has come online? I will be taking it out for another Trip Cycle drive tomorrow morning. Hopefully the Check engine light does not come on at that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, just did another Trip Cycle and no check engine light but it is still showing a pending O2 sensor heater control circuit code. P0030. Is this normal? I was under the impression that if the computer detected the same problem on the second trip cycle it would set the code and activate the check engine light and a DTC in the memory. Am I wrong about that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts