Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 KIA Optima
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in the spring our daughter's 05 Optima timing belt lost several teeth. DavesSpectra told me back then, chances were very good that the engine was shot, he was dead on, the engine was trashed. Our daughter decided to let a auto repair shop put another engine in. They had installed new belts on the trashed engine and I asked them to put the new belts on this engine and they did.

She finally got her car back after several months, the bad thing is there is a fairly bad vibration in the engine no matter the rpm, in gear or out. The vibration is almost like a weight came off the harmonic balancer. This car probably don't have a harmonic balancer but this is the only example I could think of.

She also said the car didn't have the power it did before. One more thing, when in park all you have to do it barely move the gas peddle and the engine revs up very high.

Question, if they didn't put the screwdriver in the hole to line the timing on the oil pump gear, would or could that cause the vibration? Would or could that have anything to do with the throttle being so touchy?

Next question, since they said not to bring the car back (don't know if they were joking or not), how would I go about getting the gear in time without having to go through the whole process of R&R the timing belts?

·
Registered
2006.5 Kia Optima
5 Posts
I am no mechanic. I do not pretend to be one either but I had a similar experience.

It does sound possible that the balance shaft may be out of time. I have had this happen on a Honda. It caused an engine vibration.

To fix the issue, I ended up having to take off the timing belt and run the entire process of a timing belt change.

Needless to say, I never went back to that "mechanic".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts