Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 6 cylinder Auto Optima with 100k miles bogs down 2 or 3 times a day. It usually happens right after the engine warms up as I am accelerating from a stop sign. Other times it does it when I am simply accelerating lightly from lower rpms. When I floor it it stutters a little and clears up. I thought it could be the fuel filter or pump, but it never does it when WOT. In fact, WOT usually clears up the problem.
Has anyone ever rn into this? any ideas on what could be causing it? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
If you haven't replaced the crank sensor (also known as the crank angle sensor) I would at least inspect the three wires coming off of it for cracked/broken/missing plastic insulation. The stuttering is the big clue...Eventually the engine will die and you won't get it started again until the sensor is replaced...
It is located at the bottom of the engine just above the crank pulley. You can gain access to it through the passenger wheel well after removing the wheel and also a plastic shield. There is a lower plastic cover over this pulley you will have to remove also.
Have you had the engine codes read yet... If not have Advance or Autozone read them..It's a free service from them.. Have them print the error code numbers.
They will look like P0XXX where the x's are numerical characters. Then post them here for us to see.. We may be looking in the wrong areas and the codes will help.
Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, still no codes.
But, i had an extra can of seafoam laying around so I poured it through the air intake on the engine side of the filter. It stopped bogging down for several weeks. No it is doing it again. Think this shows the problem would be the MAF sensor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Be sure to use maf cleaner and dont touch the elements inside.Take a close look at the 02 sensor also as this can cause your symptoms, usually the bank 2 located on exhaust manifold next to the radiator.As DavesSprectra said it may very well be the crankshaft position sensor.They can deteriorate a long time before they throw a code.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts