Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time post, looking for info on 05 Kia Sorento transmission fluid. Recently purchased 05 Sorento 4wd with 97k miles. I want to change transmission fluid, and the manual shows 2 different fluids for the 05 model in the "specifications" chart. One spec is for 4 speed transmission, Dexron II. The other spec is for 5 speed, Red 1.
Also, in the main section under transmission, the manual states to use Dexron II. The date for this manual is shown as 04/09, so I am assuming printed Sept 04.
How do I determine if I have the 4 speed vs 5 speed for the 05? I want to be sure I use the correct fluid.
Thanks,
PR

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
One way to do that is call the Kia dealer and give them the vin #. They can tell you based on that.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
If the box is a Tiptronic ie two gates and you can shift it manually or let it run auto on the other side, it is a five speed.

If it has a normal T bar then it is a 4 speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Castrol equal?

Thanks, I have the 5 speed in the 05 Sorento. Looking online, it looks like the Castrol equivalent for the Appolloil Red 1 is Castrol Import Multivehicle ATF. anyone using this in their 05 Sorento?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
I would be useing the Kia trans fluid.....NO reason at all, not to use the CORRECT ATF!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
changed ATF, gear box and differentials next

Thanks, I picked up the Red 1 at the local dealer yesterday and did the 4 quart change, shifts great. My daughter has noticed a "clunk", as she describes it, the last week or two. This just recently started when the weather got down in the lower 40's here. Thought it may the transmission, hence the 4 quart Red 1 changeout. She says the "clunk" is there in the mornings, going downhill, foot off the gas. I guessing my next action item is to change differentials fluids and gearbox fluid. Any other items I should check that may cause this "clunk"? Have only owned Sorento '05 4wd for couple of months, so starting normal maintenance rouitne.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Lube the c**p out of the slip joints. They are usually neglected in the lubing process. It should help or do away with the noise.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Any good U-joint lube should do. You have been doing the u-joints right? On a 2WD DS there are 4. Three joints and the slip joint. 4WD units I can't speak for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the 4 wd '05, purchased used about 2 months ago, so beginning maintenance schedule, fluids change. I will look at the u-joints.
so far have chnaged the 4 qts atf with red 1, last night changed rear differential with Valvoline limited slip, 80w -90 sg5. So far during this morning drive, no "clunk" as experienced earlier. Plan to do front differential fluid change and 4wd transfer box this weekend.
After reading some other 4wd drive posts, I looked at the tire sizes, to see if they are correct. I have 225/70R16, two of same brand on front, two different brands on back. Tread looks good on all 4 tires, checked pressure, was on 24 , ran up to 30 as per owners manual. Manual calls for 245, these are 225, so it looks like I am still OK as far as diameter. Some other posts have mentioned problems if tires are different brands, in case of mismatch on tire diameters, 4 wd tries to compensate on hard pavement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correction on earlier post, I have two of the same brand tires on front, two of the same brand tires on back, but different from front. The tread looks good on all 4 tires, the front 2 look to be newer. The 2 front tires have a different tread than the 2 rear tires. A post I saw on 4wd mentioned newer tires should go on back for 4wd?
Thanks, PR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts