Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 0455 code on my '14 Sorento. Tightened the gas cap, and after 30 ish miles the light was still on. Took off and put gas cap back on again. Disconnected battery for a minute or two, then went for a short drive and light came back on after 5-6 miles. Bought a new gas cap, light is still on. So I'm thinking it's not the gas cap. What are your suggestions of where to look first? I'm not looking to just throw parts at it to fix it, just asking of what to look for. I've got some time since my tags/emissions are not due until August. Is this a common issue on Sorento's? And if so, what usually fixes it? Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Noticed there's no responses to your post. My guess is because there is really no "common issue" of evap failures on the Sorentos. I've see some scattered posts on failures, some disappeared, others were the gas cap. The code P0455 (big leak in evap system) is thrown when the ECM tests the EVAP system. It closes the fuel tank air vent (CCV solinoid) and opens the vacuum source (PCSV) solenoid to the intake manifold). At that time the ECM expects the vacuum sensor (FTPS) in the tank to read an increasing vacuum. Fixing a problem in this area is not complex, but can be a PITA, it requires inspecting and pulling hoses and attaching a vacuum source to the components of the evap system. If no leaks on vacuum tester it can then be the sensor. The following url will give you an idea of how the evap sys works.
Kia Sorento: Evaporative Emission Control System - Emission Control System - Kia Sorento XM 2011-2019 Service Manual .

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I have a 0455 code on my '14 Sorento. Tightened the gas cap, and after 30 ish miles the light was still on. Took off and put gas cap back on again. Disconnected battery for a minute or two, then went for a short drive and light came back on after 5-6 miles. Bought a new gas cap, light is still on. So I'm thinking it's not the gas cap. What are your suggestions of where to look first? I'm not looking to just throw parts at it to fix it, just asking of what to look for. I've got some time since my tags/emissions are not due until August. Is this a common issue on Sorento's? And if so, what usually fixes it? Thanks in advance for the replies.
Not sure if you found the issue or not since this was posted four months ago but check the charcoal canister(vapor canister) under the car. My wife apparently ran something over and it tore the cover and put two holes in the canister. That set off the same trouble code. It's an expensive fix, I highly suggest Rock Auto for the part as they were cheaper than any of the car parts stores. Took about 30 minutes to replace.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Steel4pens
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing