1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sorento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I developed a rattle in rear when driving bumpy road. Narrowed it down to this

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

looking into the driver side rear wheel well. The passenger side is not as bad, but I'm thinking I should replace everything (all bushings, washers, etc.) on both sides and start fresh. :confused:

Where is the best place to order the parts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry I can't help with where to buy the parts because I'm in Australia - but I have developed just recently the exact same problem. Can't figure out why this has occurred. How can the bushes suddenly have so much free play? The sleeve retaining the bushes has at least 20 mm (3/4 inch) up/down movement on the retaining bolt which results in this tinkling/rattling sound - on both sides. So you are not alone - good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can anybody actually identify what those parts (bushes and bolt) are called? Are they part of the body, rear suspension or rear axle?

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
i used OEM rubber bushings where bar attached to rear axle. Also I bought new long bolt (bolt back - as it called on diagram for KIA parts) and new spacer back (also called - boss), because i had to cut my rear links completely - rusted. But for link bushings i bought polyurethane ones from Autozone - size was very close and I though polyurethane will hold better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go into any auto parts store (Autozone, NAPA, Advance, etc) and tell them you need a pair of rear sway bar links for whatever year it is. Would be a lot faster than ordering the parts online and way cheaper than the dealership.

·
Registered
88 mark vii 98 mark viii 05 ford f-350 super duty 03 e-350 conversion box truck 03 kia sorento ex
91 Posts
Hey, i was looking for those end links everywhere but i couldn't find them for my 03.. Except the dealer of course but way too expensive.. Finally i got lucky and found 8 universal bushings in pep boys for 10 buck. perfect size and all.. I got lucky though.. I just rebuilt all front and rear suspension. Replaced it all.. Gotta get it aligned tomorrow.. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks guys for the answer. Now if only PepBoys, Autozone etc. would open stores here in Oz. Oh, well... In the meantime, I'll have to go to our only Kia dealer (and the kid behind the counter will give me a confused look, tap a few keys on the computer and undoubtedly say parts have to come from Korea). Such is life of a Sorento owner down here. Thanks again though for the info.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Where do you live. There are several good on line retailers in Aus. Try Lada and Korean parts at Deception Bay Qld. I buy most of my stuff from them, they parallel import both genuine Kia, and Korean aftermarket OEM parts for Kia, Hyundai, and Ssangyong. Prices are really good and the guy is very helpful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the info cmar. I'm in Adelaide. I'll give the Lada & Korean Parts crowd a try if the local dealer can't deliver quickly (or is outrageously expensive). Cheers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bushes were off the shelf in Sydney and can't complain at AUD1.70 each. Takes about a week to deliver and probably, knowing me, about a month to get around to fitting them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Found out today why there was so much play in the sway bar links. The sleeve/spacer tube had worn through the bottom cup washer and punched its way into the bush which allowed then about 25mm of free play for the spacer and bush to move up and down on the back bolt and rattle. Looks like the other side has done the same thing. Took an hour or so to replace one set of bushes and fit another cup washer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts