Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my fuel pump on my 2004 sedona. It isn't getting fuel. Had the new fuel pump tested and it is in working condition. It appears that there isn't any electricity going to the fuel pump. I have researched and I am lost. :confused: Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
402 Posts
It 'appears' as there is no electricity getting to the fuel pump. Is there or is there not power to the pump.
Were ALL the o rings swapped/replaced with the pump C/O i remember one hidden/hard to see.

Cheers
Brian

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
The ECM (engine control module) decides "when" the fuel pump is energized. It bases it's decision upon looking at other sensors... The cam and the crank angle sensors are the two main feedback items the ECM looks at...If the pulces are missing or not timed correctly with one another the ECM WILL refuse to allow the B+ (battery voltage) to be fed to the fuel pump...If your timing/cam belt is not properly aligned the ECM won't turn on the pump. Check all the interconnecting plugs and sockets on the harnesses for corrosion and make sure all grounding wires have been re-connected..
In some Hyundais there may be a fuel pump relay and they can go bad. Also check the fuses under the hood/bonett and in the cab of the car.. The strangest marked fuse may be your problem.
Dave

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
On mine (2.5l K5 gasoline) there's provision in the Diagnostic connector to override the ECM's control of the pump, and run it 'manually' using a jumper. (Used to purge & repressurize the fuel system after its been opened). Your workshop manual should have details (or I can post a clip).

With the service panel in the floor open I can easily hear the pump running when jumpered (as well as when the ECM runs it). That would establish that the wiring is ok. And may allow it to start at least briefly. Alternatively, a voltmeter on the pump connections.

And Brian has a point, the main line to filter O-ring can be tricky, it can roll off and stay in the old filter (& get chucked with it) if you are not careful. If not present, I guess that could create the situation you are seeing, namely no fuel - the pressurized fuel from the filter would just flow back into the canister.

·
Registered
04 sedonna,07 oddsey,77 dodge p/u,kubota tractor------
97 Posts
The O ring thing happened to me. I was lucky I spotted it before I threw it away with the old filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts