Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Mother has a 2004 Sedona and it has ongoing electrical issues. Currently the right blinker doesn't flash and just stays on, the emergency flashers don't work and the front dome lights work intermittently via the individual buttons and simply won't come on when the doors are open.

The Kia dealership is apparently unable to fix the issue after having the car in for service repeatedly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Just like always, the blinker and flashers have started working again. This is the endless pattern my Mother is stuck in.

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
96 Posts
Dumb question; have you checked all related fuses and relays? Blinker could be a relay. If they're all good, But if they sometime work, sometimes not, you must have some shortage (cracked-up wire that moves?) in the circuits and will have to check the wiring with a voltmeter (resistance, continuity, voltage, etc). On the other hand, I would have thought the dealer shop would have checked such things. What did they say? They just returned car and said sorry cannot fix or what? Haven't checked kiatechinfo.com, but you could probably find the wiring diagrams in there somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
I would be looking at the right outside lights when the right turn signal is on and you're having the problem... I'd be tempted to think that the wiring around the front right lamp was bad from weather and corrosion... Check the plugs and sockets on the harness close to the lamp. Also check the ground return wire that would be close to the light assy. Remove the bolt and clean under it. Then apply a liberal amount of silicon grease on the body/frame where it is attached and on the bolt and the lug the bolt goes through. Then assemble it again...
KIAs are known for bad grounds and you "symptom" of the lamp staying on is saying one of the outside lights (front or back) has a high resistance (bad connection).
The weather in Montana can get pretty nasty and the salt/snow/ice can attack electrical wiring...
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be looking at the right outside lights when the right turn signal is on and you're having the problem... I'd be tempted to think that the wiring around the front right lamp was bad from weather and corrosion... Check the plugs and sockets on the harness close to the lamp. Also check the ground return wire that would be close to the light assy. Remove the bolt and clean under it. Then apply a liberal amount of silicon grease on the body/frame where it is attached and on the bolt and the lug the bolt goes through. Then assemble it again...
KIAs are known for bad grounds and you "symptom" of the lamp staying on is saying one of the outside lights (front or back) has a high resistance (bad connection).
The weather in Montana can get pretty nasty and the salt/snow/ice can attack electrical wiring...
Dave
Well, supposedly the dealership replaced the wiring harness. They certainly charged my mother for it. And that did not solve any of the electrical issues. Do you know how I can find instructions for removing and checking out the front light assembly and the ground wire? And any info on how to open up the front dome light assembly would be helpful too. Do I need to disconnect the battery when looking at these possible issues?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts