Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
04 Rio RX-V
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys I have been having trouble with random codes.

It started off with P0325 (Knock sensor), I took the vom after that one and had 2.24 volt on one terminal can't remember what one that was. I would have thought that it was fed 5v or 12 (normal computer voltages). I suspect that that one may return after it has been run for a while. I varified the Torque and set it back to 15'Lbs. Should be the middle of the road.

The Camshaft Position Sensor will keep coming on after it has been cleared. This tells me that the cause is still active. I have taken the vom after the 1,2,3 terminals. I have ground and something 16kOhm and 6kOhm reading to ground on the other two, with the sensor unpluged and harness tests. The B+ is showing up on pin 1 and 5volt is showing up on signal line (pin 2) with ignition on but not running.

Question is this a reading that should be expected and if not any idea as to cause.

I have varified the Timing Belt by removing the top cover and putting engine onto TDC.

·
Registered
04 Rio RX-V
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK guys after doing a lot of checking I installed the suspected camshaft position sensor in another rio same year only 5 Spd manual. It worked like a charm on the other car.

Investigation was needed as I always suspect mechanical over sensors. I removed the camshaft cover to look at the camshaft, only to find the single lobe cam at the back end of the intake "free floating".

Next question is this normal. I cant find any data on it in kiatechinfo.

Has anyone got a photograph of the intake camshaft and any idea if this is dowled or what.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
There should be a screw that keeps the half moon lobe set in place for cylinder 1 at top dead center. It comes loose and the cam sensor code comes up. Check to see if the screw is missing or loose. Good luck

·
Registered
04 Rio RX-V
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After Camshaft removal I found that the screw on the end of the shaft had backed out of the threads. Wrapped the cam in a rag mounted in viceand located the cam wheel onto its boss and torqued up to specs.

I have reinstalled everything and that has cured the P0340 , I just cant see a Kia mechanic making that mistake, so curse the backyard hobbit.

Now I am back to the investigation of the Knock Sensor. That is a persistant little critter. As you can tell its a newly aquired car!

Thanks for your input ronjohn.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Good you found it Dave 49 i had put that in my service manual from previous post I'am glad it helped you. Now for that knock sensor! Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
04 Rio RX-V
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so every one knows. The knock sensor problem was resolved. I had low compression on 1 and 4 - this did increase wet, indicating that it it was piston rings.
I put fuel injector cleaner in the tank a couple of times and ran it on the highway. This freed off any carbon from not being used often. Now runs like a Rio should.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts