Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission oil pump rotted out the side wall. Pulled the trans to replace the pump with a reman'ed one.
Got everything back together, took it off the jack stands and the car wouldn't move. I felt it shudder like it was trying...
Back on the jack stands. Checked the rear brakes because they felt awfully tight, thought maybe the e-brake was seized. They were fine.

While on the stands I can get the wheels to turn, but I have to rev to ~2000 rpm, then they spin up.

The trans was acting great before all this started. When I pulled it, the fluid looked fine. I did replace the filter during this time. No gunk... actually I think the guy I bought it from must have done it 'cause the filter looked really good.

Any ideas? It could of course be a defective pump. Any way to test or isolate the pump, transmission or torque converter? I'll buy what I need but don't want to buy more than I need.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
Did you happen to drop or bang your torque converter while you took it out? They are sensitive items. That could cause the converter to fail. Also, make sure its secured correctly. Double check everything is connected properly. How long did you run the car? It sometimes it takes a while for pressure to start up again due to the small orifice. Still don't eliminate the idea of the pump. It's possible it wasn't installed correctly. Also, shift through all the gears. Start with 1, 2, D, OD, R and check fluid. Make sure your fluid is at operating temp not just starting it up in the day and looking at the stick.

·
Registered
2004 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turned out the rebuilt transmission pump from Makco Transmission was no good. I contactd them but as it had been more than 30 days they said too bad. Ended up doing a salvage transmission and replacing the whole thing. Wish I'd done that in the beginning... hind-sight :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts