Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have an 04 Kia Rio with an automatic transmission. I just did an engine swap in it, and when you turn the key you get.....nothing. The only thing I get is a clicking noise that is coming from a box (some sort of BCM i'm guessing) that is bolted to the floor below the radio/hvac stuff. While doing the engine swap my dad has being taking the interior out of the car, so I am wondering if something that affects the car starting could have gotten disconnected. Where is the neutral safety switch located on these cars? Any ideas guys? I don't know the history of the car but is was supposedly running before the engine went south. The only fuse I see that is marked 'start' is good. I am thinking the ignition switch is working because I do not get a clicking from the box I described earlier until I attempt to start the car, I am thinking if this was bad I would not get anything anywhere.

*also I am getting power at the starter because I made the mistake of trying to tighten one of the nuts on the stater while the battery was hooked up...kinda made a spark:D

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
The first thing I would do, mainly because its the easiest and cost nothing is check ALL your fuses. Don't just pull them out and look at them, actually test them or just used brand new ones and check relays. Is your starter kicking out at all?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fixed it. The transmission cable was not being held in the proper position. Once I got that lined up the car cranked and started fine. Now I am dealing with a huge water leak at the water inlet on the water pump....which is a pain in the a$$ to get to with the engine in the car and the acessories on. I have already un bolted the power steering pump and a/c compressor. I am waiting on the gasket to get here at the Kia dealership.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts