Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently blew a head gasket, and teardown to replace is nearly completed however i can not get the harmonic balancer bolt off. have the pully removal tool already so once i get this stuborn bolt off it should be smooth sailing. any tips on removing this bolt without bumping the motor (as i said before much of the teardown is completed) or impact gun as i dont have access to one. this is a solo job so unfourtunatly i lack a second pair of hands to hold a screwdriver to the flywheel. is it possible to put the transmission in a gear (drive or reverse to lock the flywheel in an AT?) PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
7 Posts
One trick you could try that I've never done myself is to take one of the spark plugs out, rotate the engine by hand until the piston has reached the bottom then feed a rope down the sparkplug hole, keep feeding until you've filled up the cylinder. That should stop it from turning. Another idea that I used on a Sportage was to create a tool using a 1/4" piece of steel (say 3" wide by 6" long) with a hole drilled in the middle to allow the socket to pass through and two other holes drilled on either side with the correct spacing to hold bolts, the ends of which extend into slots/holes on the harmonic balancer pulley; then find a place where it can jam up against a part of the frame/etc to stop the engine from turning. Not sure what the Rio harmonic balancer looks like, so not sure if that's an option there.

Hope the above helps!

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
Try getting I think a 10mm maybe a 12mm socket with an extension, put it on the bolt to the flex plate as if you were going to take off the torque converter. You might have to turn the engine to find the bolt first. Put in the socket with the extension connected and that'll keep the engine from turning while your trying to remove the pulley.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got a 1/2 impact, gun says that it should not be used over 90 PSI, still cant get this bolt off. about to scrap this car in all seriousness. been at this bolt for days with no luck. have tried all but the starter trick, only because the dissasembly is so far along. what PSI do i need to remove the bolt ect? -extroardinaly agrovated-

·
Registered
7 Posts
How long did you use the impact gun on the bolt? I had to run it a good 20 seconds or so before it finally let go. Did you try a breaker bar with a cheater to get it off? Once the engine is stopped from rotating (from one of the three methods listed before) I'd expect you should be able to get the bolt to turn out with a big bar/cheater (you'll get a lot more torque from that than you would from a regular impact gun). Some guys have had success with heating the bolt up with oxy/act but I don't have that.

·
Registered
04 Rio RX-V
7 Posts
Ideas for you to try.

I have had no problem with an electric impact. But with the air impact you will probably need to have it at the highest setting. I have had an air impact up at around 250psi for some pully bolts (dodge 2.5L) but not advisable impacts at that pressure can give catastrophic results. :eek:

If that does not work you can try putting a rag around the pully and a come along with about 4 wraps around the pully to act like a capstan winch and anchor both ends of the winch cable to the frame. then use a 1/2" breaker bar on the bolt. Dont forget to have the wrap in the right direction to counter the anti clock rotation. I believe that the torque on the bolt is around 135 ' lbs.

Creativity and brute force should work.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
You need a good impact wrench. The average cheapos you find at most auto parts stores will say they torque "up to 250 ft lbs".(yeah, barely after 10 minutes...)
A good quality 1/2" Ingersoll Rand will twist 450 ft lbs at 90 psi. The difference is unbelievable! They are an awesome time saver when working with axles, crank bolts, and heavy tranny jobs. If you have the average 1/2" impact, you will need 10 minutes of teeth rattling to get a good tight bolt loose. Look closely at the specs on the impact wrench before buying one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts