Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the timing belt replaced. My Kia has never dripped a drop of fluid before the repair, leaks Trans fluid now. Mechanic informs me that I need to replace a worn out 'Axle Shaft Seal'. Any info that could help me repair this on my own, would be greatly appreciated!
Seems simple enough, most drive shafts can be removed or disconnected from the trans, without having to remove/pull the trans out. I assume the seal can then replaced, without having the take the trans out or crack it (trans) open. Shaft then just slides back thru new seal, into the trans... right? Repairs always sound so darn easy, until you get 8hrs into them. lol

·
Registered
91eagletsi-06optima
86 Posts
This will take you longer than the motor mount, but is also fairly easy with air tools. You'll prob need a 32 or 33mm for the axle nut and 1 person on the brake pedal and the other with a big breaker bar. Remove lower ball, tie rod, don't bind lower control arm pop the halfshaft.​
Take care when pullling the old seal. Install new seal straight with proper tool (sockets have been known to work) Just make sure the socket is big enough to align with the outer edge of your new seal, Hope this helps.​
:banana:

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts