Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm in a bind and could really use some help. I got a '04 Kia Sorento that I'm supposed to be selling today. But last night i went to start it and it had no power at all, no lights, no door ding, nothing. It has a new battery and battery terminal clamps, all connections are clean and looks to be properly grounded, and all fuses are good. Now after messing with it for some time I found I can get power if I run a wire from + on the battery to + terminal in front of the fuse box it'll start, run, everything works??? I can't sell it like this, If I permanently hook up a line it doesn't start just pops and goes dead again.

I went and removed and tested the starter, cleaned off all the connections to that and the alternator it's all good. I'm thinking bad ground maybe but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So I followed the little red wire from the fuse box terminal all the way to what I think is a CDI mounted behind the rear passenger tire. I can order a new one for $60 but it'll take 2 weeks to get here. So I called my local KIA dealer they think it might be a $145 sensor that's somewhere under the carpet on the passenger side floor board. But they'll have too first run a $96 diagnostic.

I do not know what to do I am no mechanic and in the last few months I've replaced the rear axle, transfer case, all the brake pads and lines, 2 calipers, battery, both battery terminals and now this. I just want it gone, please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
136 Posts
But last night i went to start it and it had no power at all...I found I can get power if I run a wire from + on the battery to + terminal in front of the fuse box...I'm thinking bad ground maybe but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
You've already confirmed what the fault is, and it's not a bad ground. I think it's unlikely to be a $145 sensor under the carpet either. Your jump wire test tells us there is a high resistance in the circuit between the battery and the fusebox.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,523 Posts
Did you check the main fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've already confirmed what the fault is, and it's not a bad ground. I think it's unlikely to be a $145 sensor under the carpet either. Your jump wire test tells us there is a high resistance in the circuit between the battery and the fusebox.
Dude you're the man thank you That was a tore it all apart cleaned it all scraped it all, works great!!!

·
Registered
2009 borrego
6 Posts
I suggested he disconnect and clean the main power supply terminals on the engine bay fusebox which seems to have cured the problem. So yes, I assume the problem was being caused by corrosion.
Hello — having similar symptoms on my 2009 Borrego. Drove to the local store, came back out to car after shopping, and no power at all to anything. Power locks don’t even work. I’m at a total loss here. So when you say “engine bay fusebox” in relation to the original post here, are you referring to the fuse box directly connected to the battery? Or the other engine bay fusebox located on the drivers side of the engine compartment? Or both??? Totally don’t know what to do here and the closest Kia dealer is like 2+ hours away!!!

·
Registered
2009 borrego
6 Posts
Hello — having similar symptoms on my 2009 Borrego. Drove to the local store, came back out to car after shopping, and no power at all to anything. Power locks don’t even work. I’m at a total loss here. So when you say “engine bay fusebox” in relation to the original post here, are you referring to the fuse box directly connected to the battery? Or the other engine bay fusebox located on the drivers side of the engine compartment? Or both??? Totally don’t know what to do here and the closest Kia dealer is like 2+ hours away!!!
Well nevermind. :) turned out to be a completely dead battery that not even a jump would cure. I did clean all terminals, etc, but that had no impact. Then bought a new battery, swapped it for the old one, and immediately had juice and the car started right up. Old battery was only about 5 years old so I am a bit concerned as to why it just completely died in such a short amount of time (5 years doesn’t seem like a long lifespan for a car battery to me). Wondering if maybe the alternator isn’t charging the battery??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.