Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm in a bind and could really use some help. I got a '04 Kia Sorento that I'm supposed to be selling today. But last night i went to start it and it had no power at all, no lights, no door ding, nothing. It has a new battery and battery terminal clamps, all connections are clean and looks to be properly grounded, and all fuses are good. Now after messing with it for some time I found I can get power if I run a wire from + on the battery to + terminal in front of the fuse box it'll start, run, everything works??? I can't sell it like this, If I permanently hook up a line it doesn't start just pops and goes dead again.

I went and removed and tested the starter, cleaned off all the connections to that and the alternator it's all good. I'm thinking bad ground maybe but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So I followed the little red wire from the fuse box terminal all the way to what I think is a CDI mounted behind the rear passenger tire. I can order a new one for $60 but it'll take 2 weeks to get here. So I called my local KIA dealer they think it might be a $145 sensor that's somewhere under the carpet on the passenger side floor board. But they'll have too first run a $96 diagnostic.

I do not know what to do I am no mechanic and in the last few months I've replaced the rear axle, transfer case, all the brake pads and lines, 2 calipers, battery, both battery terminals and now this. I just want it gone, please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
143 Posts
But last night i went to start it and it had no power at all...I found I can get power if I run a wire from + on the battery to + terminal in front of the fuse box...I'm thinking bad ground maybe but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
You've already confirmed what the fault is, and it's not a bad ground. I think it's unlikely to be a $145 sensor under the carpet either. Your jump wire test tells us there is a high resistance in the circuit between the battery and the fusebox.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,463 Posts
Did you check the main fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've already confirmed what the fault is, and it's not a bad ground. I think it's unlikely to be a $145 sensor under the carpet either. Your jump wire test tells us there is a high resistance in the circuit between the battery and the fusebox.
Dude you're the man thank you That was a tore it all apart cleaned it all scraped it all, works great!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts