Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 kia rio, 1978 volvo 245, 1989 lincoln town car signature series
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum. I am having some issue's with my 2004 rio has 126,000 miles on it. First issue: at times my clutch pedal seem's very stiff when pushing it in, I have been adjusting the cable when needed. Now here is the kicker so I figured I would try something just to see what the outcome would be. The hole the fork pivot arm sticks out I sprayed some pb blaster through there and then work the pedal a few times and for now it is easier than it has ever been to push I was curious of what might cause the pedal to become so stiff ? it is the original clutch in the car and doesn't slip nor seem to release high either.

second problem: at times when accelerating the car will hesitate for a split second and then be fine and when stopping at a red light sometimes the idle will drop real low almost to where there car dies and then jump to about 1000 rpm's and idle normal again ??

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Clutch Pedal: Dust from the clutch can gum up the works. Various bearings etc. would probably benefit from a little spray relief, but you wouldn't want too much oil in there and it's not a long-term solution. The pivot bearings might be wearing, and this will give you variable pressure at the pedal.

Engine response: Idle Air Control valve and other bits might need cleaning. Others on the forum will no doubt provide more specific advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The automatic shifter cable in my Rio wore out a while back and got really hard to shift, I was going to suggest that maybe the same was happening to your clutch cable, but sounds like maybe not if spraying into the clutch components fixed it for you.
Is it the original clutch? It's probably close to time for a new one anyway if it is, good time to clean all the other components.

I second the IAC valve being your bad idle culprit, you can try cleaning it with carb cleaner, but in my experience it'll be back doing the same thing very soon, I replaced mine and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
I'm no help with the clutch, but i do third cleaning the IAC and the tps. I cleaned my IAC it was stuck and lot's of carbon on the tps butterfly valve. if your IAC is stuck it takes some doing i used a half a can of carb spray doing mine you have to get it loose first then work it back and forth use somthing plastic to move the valve so You don't scratch it and keep spraying it. when your done the valve should be slightly open and move freely. clean the maf with maf cleaner. http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ for service materials good luck with it. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone for the help. When I get a chance I will clean the IAC, MAF and the throttle body and report back. I got home from work early an the clutch was being to act up again so this time around I removed the part of the air box running over the trans and sprayed some more pb blaster which has helped again and adjusted the cable but in doing so the clutch release point is almost at the top of the pedal travel. Also how much play should the fork pivot arm have back and fourth and side to side if any ? when pressing the pedal in and out I hear a squeaking sound ?

I do believe it is time for a clutch before major damage is caused just hate to pull it all apart because it doesn't slip at all but better to do it sooner than wait and mess something up and it really cost money lol

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
There's usually not much play at all; certainly not side-side and maybe a little play back-forward against a spring. One place you should have play is at the pedal; a few mm so that you are sure there's no pressure on the throw-out bearing when you are not operating the clutch.

Sounds like your clutch does need some work. Best have it done before you are immobilised.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is what I was thinking but wasn't sure. After doing some searching on the internet I found someone who was having a problem with the fork pivot arm top bushing sliding up, Which is exactly what top one is doing and with the amount of play I think it would be safe to assume the bottom one is wore out as well lol. Looks like it is time for a clutch and address any other issue's as well. The good thing is that the Rio isn't my only vehicle so I will be able to let it sit till I can afford to fix it lol thanks for all the help :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one more question

With the top bushing being at the top of the pivot arm instead seated where it needs to be and not truly being able to tell the condition of the lower bushing. Is it a smart decision not to drive the car until the problem is addressed and fixed to prevent damage or failure, or would it be okay to drive the car ?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
a gambling man would say, "go for it...what the heck". I say, "How far is the walk home"? Only you can decide on that gamble....but I seriously doubt another drive or 2 will cause a catastrophe.... Just get that clutch work done asap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts