Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im somewhat of a newbie to the forums in the sense that i haven't posted before. I use this frequently to try to figure out problems im having with my 2004 kia rio base 1.6. I just replaced my clutch cable because my car stopped shifting into gear. As far as i know the cable is adjusted enough. When i depress clutch pedal i can get shifter into all gears, but when i turn the car on i cannot shift into any gear. From the information that i have found so far it may be: shifter/foot brake interlock unit, or entire shifter, brake pedal switch, possibly a leak in either master or slave cylinder, or rust on the input shaft spines?? Is there an easier way to diagnose this to find out which problem/part needs to be fixed/replaced?? My clutch itself was replaced less than a year ago, and not to be cocky but im pretty good with my clutch. If anyone has any suggestions or has an idea what to look for I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging fully. The throw-out lever/bearings may have failed, or the hydraulics aren't working properly.

Does the clutch pedal travel feel normal? Usual force required or very little force? Have you followed the procedure for initial adjustment of the system and bleeding hydraulic system?

When you try to shift the car into gear, do you hear crunching/grinding noises? That will tell you that the clutch isn't working properly.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
He says he replaced the clutch cable so that pretty much rules out hydraulic clutch problems as they do not exist. Sounds like syncros in the tranny may be gone...
If you put the car in say first gear and then start the engine...when you let up on the clutch do you actually have first gear?
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts