Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new member but we've had this car since it was new, it's the wife's DD.
It's an '04 Amanti with 225k miles. It has had all of the servicing (TB, fluids, etc.) preformed reasonably closely to on time. It does have an oil leak that is annoying but, as long as I keep the level checked, has not affected performance. Up until the current problem the car has been running OK.
Yesterday, it started hard and when it started it idled rough and high (1700 or so). It also has a strong smell of fuel in the exhaust. Throttle response is almost non existent. If you floor the pedal it seemingly does nothing but if you leave it floored the rpm's will gradually creep up to around 3k rpm. If you press the brake pedal the engine will make an odd "blub-blub" kind of noise (it almost sounds like vacuum dumping) and the engine idles down to 600rpm and almost dies but then recovers to the high idle/rough run condition. Putting the trans in gear makes no apparent difference. It also has the CEL on. A basic code reader shows the codes P0102, P1110, P1175 and P1196.
My understanding of the codes is as follows.
P0102 - MAF or VAF A circuit low input.
P1110 - A/T circuit malfunction (Is this the air intake temp sensor? If so, is it in the MAF as I read somewhere?)
P1175 - I have not been able to find this code yet
P1196 - The only reference to this code I have found is "Ignition switch "Start" open or short (1.6L) I've found nothing about this code for the 3.5L

I have read on one of the many internet answer sites that the last three codes are related to the Electronic Throttle Control System and that I should look at the Throttle Body, the Throttle Blade and the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) but nothing really definitive.

So can anyone help with the unknown codes or have any experience with this problem or even direct me where I can look further.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Dave

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Greetings,

Place to go for info on your vehicle is kiatechinfo (see my sig.), using Internet Explorer, signup and requirements on the main page - once signed up you can view the [Service Info] for your vehicle and (search) the DTC codes..

I took the liberty of searching the (unknown) codes, following are the DTC descriptions from the kiatechinfo site:

P1196:
--
This DTC is set if the DTC P2110/P2112, which is defined as which is defined as the stuck closed of TPS value in ETS is set and the limp home valve operates.(DTC P2110/P2112 is representative) It may not be displayed in Mode 3 or Mode 7 of J1979 because this DTC is classifyed to Mode 13 which is newly established from 05MY.
DTC P2110/P2112 is set if the signal flag for fully closed stuck of throttle valve is received and the limp home valve operates.

In short, due to an issue w/ the Throttle Position Sensor, the "limp home valve" on the assembly is active -> this code is being stored..

P1110:
--
P1110*
Electronic Throttle System (ETS) Malfunction

*A "general" DTC set on ETS issues, P1175 is the more detailed DTC code..

P1175:
--
Electronic Throttle System (ETS) Malfunction - Throttle Valve Sticking (CLOSE) #2

P0102:
--
DTC DESCRIPTION

If MAF output voltage is lower than threshold value, the PCM determines that a fault exists and a DTC is stored.

** I do not own your vehicle, but if it was my ride, I would be checking the wiring connections at the MAF and ETS, checking voltages at both sensors vs. expected values, and reviewing readings of the MAF sensor w/ a live data scanner..

If any doubt, recommend seeking professional assistance w/ the repair.. e.g. your local KIA service dept who has the correct diagnostic equipment to test & effect a good repair..

--
I hope the info helps,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for the reply. It was extremely helpful and really what I was looking/hoping for!
My plan was to check wiring and plugs and clean the TB, MAF and TPS to see if that made any difference. So, your suggestions there pretty much mirror what my first steps were going to be.
I believe that I have already registered at the site you suggest and I will be checking that out as well. Will the kiatech site have the voltages and values I'll need to trouble shoot the ETS?

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it greatly.

Dave

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
You're welcome, glad to help -

Yes, the KGIS site has the voltage/testing info you need, after selecting your vehicle under [Service Info], suggest typing in the DTC code(s) and using the (Search) feature, and selecting the appropriate results to bring up the

full DTC diagnostic tree for each code, the tests and values will be listed as part of the procedure.

*The ETM (electrical) schematics are also listed on the site, in case you need to back-trace wiring: I'd recommend checking (which) fuses are involved with the circuit and confirming they are good at the start, to ensure good power is getting to the components in question..

Best wishes for a speed repair.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alrighty then, got it running this morning.
When I pulled the engine covers off I found that the MAF had become disconnected from the air box. Took the intake tubing all off, disconnected the wiring from the MAF & TPS. Cleaned the MAF, TPS, all the connectors, tubing and cleaned the TB as much as I could w/o pulling it. Put it all back together with a new air filter and it ran like it should but still had the same codes. The code reader I was using would not erase the codes so I pulled the negative battery cable off for about 20 minutes and now it runs great w/o any codes.
The wife tells me it's running better than it has in months.
So, I'm guessing that the MAF, and everything else, was sucking unfiltered air and gotten overloaded with gunk. That's my theory anyway...
Once again, a big thanks to GottaCruise for the info and recommendations!

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts