Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra EX
84 Posts
I don't know? Let's see, Is it worth it for you to put gas in your car? Or do you have someone else do it for you? Do you own a wrench? Did you ever change the oil on another car before? Do you have all the equipment to do it properlly and safelly? I'm sure I could come up with another 20 questions, without giving you a proper answer.
My point is that; your statement/question is incomplete.

Welcome to "Internet Forum"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost 24 hours after I post, I finally get a response: and its a freaking FLAME accusing me of being a noob by a guy with 10 posts. Yes, first post here...and god only knows how many on other boards.

Yes, I didn't explain the situation as well as I could have: perhaps NOT being an a$$ would have been appropriate, eh?

By "is it worth it", I mean "are the oil filter and plug in easily accessible locations, or is just not worth the effort for me to do it myself."

EDIT: Okay, that was a bit harsh on my part; I really didn't explain the situation all that well, but I hate being considered a 12-year-old noob (as I'm neither of those). I apologize.

·
Registered
79 Bronco, 04 Optima, 02 Ion, 06 Triumph Bonnivelle
106 Posts
Gosh, just in case anyone else wonders about this post: Yes, it is worth it to do it yourself.

It's also worth it to do brakes yourself, rotate tires, flush the radiator, change your own battery, change your own tranny fluid, change your own bulbs, wash your own car, fill your own washer fluid, flush your own brake fluid and wax your own vehicle.

·
Registered
09 Cobalt
429 Posts
sheeeeeesh, if ya' have to ask then it's usually best left to someone that REALLY knows. Professional help would also be an option.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Being a wiseguy myself, I find questions like these, AT FIRST, easy to answer with a smartass response.

however, it doesn't help, and damages the whole atmosphere. Don't take it personally, there are useless folks everywhere.

as for the oil change, yes. do it yourself. it's simple, satisfying, and CHEAPER than paying some punk (who probably posted the original reply) at JiffyLube.

get or make some ramps, you want the car at least 6 inches up in the air.

you'll need
BIG oil catch tube.
funnel
a rag
maybe some cardboard (if first time, to catch the spills)
ratty shirt
a filter (anything but fram)
oil
oil filter remover, (flexible strap type is best)

Follow the interval guide in the manual. Folks that claim they change the oil every 1000 or 2000 miles with SuperUltraPureSynth have two things you don't: credit card debt, and irrational behavior

loosen the drain plug a LITTLE, just break it free with the correctly sized box-end wrench (or a 6 point socket). Do NOT use visegrips, adjustable wrenches, a 12 point socket or anything else.

Center the pan and use HAND to remove the plug. Try not to let it drop into the pan. It has this magically ability to either drop RIGHT in the path of the oil stream and splatter used oil everywhere, OR clog the fill hole in the pan, OR fall in the pan under 3 inches of used oil.

BTW: do this with the engine cold.

let it drip for 10 minutes, this is what the stores DON'T do. Get rid of all the old oil. Put the plug back in by hand. snug by hand. Move the pan under the oil filter, tighten plug with tool.

remove the filter, it will drip when you unscrew it. If you need to use a tool to get it off, it was on too tight. If it won't come off, use the tool you should have already bought.

Just LOOSEN the filter with the tool, you don't want to get oil on it.
WITH the pan under the filter, remove it by hand and empty the oil into pan. Make sure the seal is on the old filter. KISS the new filter to the oil one to transfer some oil to the new seal. reinstall, hand tight, and add 1/4 turn to make snug. No need to go nuts here.

refill with oil via the funnel and let the container drip for a few minutes to get all the oil out.

Those moments you aren't doing anything while stuff drips or drains, you should be organizing your garage, wiping off your tools, putting stuff away, etc.

add the rest of the oil, oil fill cap, start her up, back her up off the ramps, wipe up any drips (remember the cardboard?) put your tools away, and put that $20 you saved towards a case of beer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
its well worth it...i change my own oil and my kia spectra gsx runs fine...i use the $8.97 fram filter and mobil high milage full synthetic oil..i drive my kia at reasonable speeds and keep t around 65-68 on the highway..plus if you have a 5-speed like me easy smooth shifting ur clutch will last longer..like my uncle jack use 2 say..."Take care of ur car and it will take care of you.."

·
Registered
7 Posts
its not that hard at all 2 change ur oil..i use ramps cuz my kia sits so low...loosen the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan...have the car a little warm this will allow the oil 2 flow out good....let it drain for abt 10-mins...while ur waiting for the oil 2 drain i replace the filter...reach in and down behind the engine and loosen the filter...make sure the oil is not 2 hot or you will not be able 2 hold the filter when u unloosen it..at first the filter is a little tricky but once you find it and change it gets easier as you change it..i only hand snug the filter as good as can..put the drain plug back in and just snug that up as well..put ur oil in and then check for leaks...i have never had any leaks at all doing it this way...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts