Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1998 A4, 2003 Spectra
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been quite some time since my little spectra has had much love, last maintenance done was the timing belt, and I was short on cash at the time so literally all that was done was the timing belt. I am a little worried with not replacing any pulleys or tensioners or anything that the timing belt job was useless?

Anyways, it's got a little laundry list of problems at the moment, this is my secondary vehicle and my girlfriend has been borrowing it for the last two months. I've come to realize it's falling apart so I need to give her some tender loving care to get it running well again, and so my girl has a car again.

P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit (Bank 1)

P0705 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit (PRNDL Input)

Beyond those codes, I saw my girlfriend start it today and quite a bit of smoke was coming from the exhaust. It wasn't pure white but it was pretty light colored (worried it's got a blown headgasket or something) it mostly went away as the car warmed up.

Checked the coolant level and there was no coolant to be seen on the dipstick, so I know it's low or dry.

This isn't the first time it's been out of coolant, it was overheating about six months ago in stop and go traffic, found out the coolant level was low or dry at that point too. So clearly it's got some sort of coolant leak, I'm guessing it's the water pump but that's just a guess considering I haven't looked for the leak yet.

Your guys' help is greatly appreciated, I know there are some nice/knowledgeable people on here!

It also needs a tranny/coolant flush, I have the chilton book and it seems the fluid flushes are fairly simple, similar to oil changes am I right? Any special tools or knowledge required for these fluid changes?

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento. 03 Kia Spectra
16 Posts
I could be wrong, but those are generic Trouble Codes and not Kia specific. They're not listed in the Kia site. You possibly have a slow coolant leak through the head gasket. I would do a Leak Down test to accurately pin point the problem.
Let us know what you find.
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts