Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 jeep 94 miata 03 sorento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. there is a sensor mounted on the rack and pinion just below where the steering collum joins the rack. the bolts holding this sensor both failed, and it blew out the sensor. can anyone offer advice on how I should drill out the bolts and re tap the threads? the housing looks like its aluminium. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding, and the spelling lesson. it will take me a little while to get back under the truck for a picture due to demands on my time but yes, I think this may very well be a solenoid. Its about 2.5 insches long and 1 inch in diameter with a protruding shaft that has two green O rings on it. My wife cranked the steering wheel over all the way during a tight turn and there was a "pop" then loss of p.s. power. I looked under and found the solenoid hanging from the harness just below where the steering wheel shaft enters what I assume to be the vertical gearbox for the rack and pinion. It is held in place by two way too small allen keyed bolts whose heads have both snapped off. my concern is drilling out steel bolts in an aluminum housing. given their size I have to be dead on center. Fortunately there is room in front to get at it, but if I screw it up the entire part which extends from wheel to wheel will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,931 Posts
Yep, and that ain't cheap. I think your wife owes you :)

My understanding is that the solenoid is functioning as a speed sensitive bypass (opening and closing a valve). I would be concerned that something else might have occurred to generate enough pressure to cause failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had noticed a slight whine coming from what must have been the ps pump. (just changed one out on my 89 jeep and it sounded the same) but would welcome any suggestions. I should also note that the dealer has reset the head after breaking off a spark plug tip inside it. An experience that has left me loathe to return to them. I have found bolts missing and bracket parts left off and a tool left buy the dealer mechanic under the hood. I have been round and round with them over several other issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts