Kia Forum banner

03 sorento weekend offroader

22K views 51 replies 3 participants last post by  offroadohio 
#1 ·
Going to keep this thread as a "build" thread.

This is what I am starting with

2003 ex. 4wd 152000 miles.

Currently having fuel issues of some sort. I need to figure out

From there it will get a lift with some sliders and mud tires.

Later I'll build a front bumper to keep factory bumper cover but hide a winch.

See less See more
#34 ·
Got 8" of snow fall by 630am saturday so we took it out on some mild trails that the snow made more interesting.

Sunday after a "after wheeling" inspection I noticed I had broken the plastic "skid" and the y pipe. So I cobbled the y pipe for now so I can drive it to work this week until the one I ordered from rock auto shows up.

Also made this to replace the plastic skid. I just took what was left of the original laid it down on a piece of sheet metal, outlined it in chaulk and used a cut off wheel in my grinder to cut it out. Drilled some drainage holes and bolted it on.

I plan to take the front metal skid off and use this same metal to copy it and "double" them up for extra protection and I may make one for the transmission too.

Here is a video from my dash came of a few of the trails we ran. WARNING there is one clip with some foul language!!!
http://youtu.be/4wm0VS5bk3U

This link contains all of my photos from the ride
OffRoadOhio.com ? View album - Expedition Mcarthur 2-21-15

#42 ·
http://youtu.be/J-ICg0wGcaA

this is a boring video but it is part of a less known road in the same area as the above video. Not much of a challenge but it had a couple spots that gave me issues in the kia.

Beavers have a dam built that has the road flooded so no way through unless on a dual sport bike. We can fix that...

#43 ·
Havent updated this thread in awhile. Havent done much other than a couple local 4wheeling trips since my last post.

on 3-21-15 I took it out to a local offroad part. Most of the trails there are tight. I managed to dent a door and tear both bumper covers off.

I didnt get any photos myself, just one short vid of me on a hill. But I browsed facebook and uploaded the pics I found to my websites gallery.

Pics are here

OffRoadOhio.com ? View album - Season Opener Clay Valley Dirt Park 2015

Here is my worthless video:
http://youtu.be/UQgWUcL4sA0
Here is a photo of the above hill.

I was obviously, in one of the smaller rigs for the day.

One more phoot from a logged portion of the park.

#44 ·
I am not a big fan of this particular offroad park.

Not really anything that will stop my toyota other than mud but the trails are cut so tight that you cant run a stock or near stock vehicle through that you care about. But a friend of mine owns the place so I go to show support.

Everything I could fit it on, it did for the most part. I made it through the muck in the below photos. ( no photos to prove it though) Those are 38" tires in the pics btw

I took it to another local park on 5-3-15. Place is similar to the one from 3-21-15 as in its a tight fit for most vehicles, and what isnt tight is beyond the capabilities of a near stock vehicle, but another friend owns this park so I go to support aswell. Not issues this trip except I lost front bumper cover again. I just keep ziptie it back on.

#47 ·
Put the winch on today. Im not real pleased with the ugly hole I had to cut in the bumper for the free spool lever. I was hoping to be able to take the bolt out of the end of th winch and rotate that whole assembly down a hole so the lever was down next to the fairlead however the holes are not in a symetrical pattern. So it is what it is for now. Im going to trim the hole a little better and put some edge trim on it so it looks better.

Sorry I didnt get pics of the plate and such I made, broke me cell phone yesterday. took this one with the knockoff go pro after I remembered it took still shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.