Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to keep this thread as a "build" thread.

This is what I am starting with

2003 ex. 4wd 152000 miles.

Currently having fuel issues of some sort. I need to figure out

From there it will get a lift with some sliders and mud tires.

Later I'll build a front bumper to keep factory bumper cover but hide a winch.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did a tune up with plugs and wires on wed and have no had any running issues since.

Washed it and scrubbed the interior yesterday.

Today I decided to tackle the charcoal in fuel tank, and the not able to run fuel dispenser at full speed when filling up.

It went to the dealership once for the fuel spitting up issues, and that is when the charcoal issue started. Prior to that it had no issues other than you had to pump fuel slow.

3 times my father n law has pulled the pump and fished the charcoal out of the tank. I do not intend to have to do that in the middle of the woods. So I did some searching on some kia forums and found the cause to the issue charcoal issue.

Apparently the filter that the dealership changed out is foam. The foam tends to fall apart when exposed to fuel. Kia issues a TSB saying not to "top off" because of this issue.

I decided to drop the canister down and have a look at it. I found the vent tube running from canister to fillneck was kinked shut. All lines from canister were full of charcoal pellets.

I removed the lines and put a piece of steel wool in each line, to act as a block for the charcoal. I am hoping this will work ( ive seen threads about it on here) as a filter to keep the charcoal from leaving the canister and making it to the fuel tank. I also shortened and rerouted the filler breather to remove the kink.

I just filled it up with the fuel nozzle at WFO for the first time since it was purchased by mother in law in 2010. Hopefully the steelwool also does its job.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it looks like this was a VERY short project.

Today on the way home I developed a bad clunk over bumps. and when id accelerate the kia wanted to walk sideways.

Got home and found the rear upper control arm on the frame broke off. The right side one is probably half way rusted off.

My mother n law has 10 days left on her 30 day trade in offer. I am out several hours of labor time, and about $75 so far on it, but I havent even gave her any of the money for it yet so, I told her to call the dealership and let them have if for the $2000 they offered. ( which is way more than I was paying.

YES I could drop the rear axle down out of the way and fab my own mounts and all that cool stuff, but I have NO desire to deal with it. Its just odd becuase there is no rust anywhere else, and even the frame where they are rusted isnt bad. Just the mounts themselves. Ive heard about ALOT of first gen sportages doing this but didnt think much about the sorento because everything is so clean on it.
SSo sadly I am out of the sorento owner club already.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Will not have to drop entire axle out. Undid panhard. Removed spare and unbolted swaybar. Exhuas was rusted at the flange behind muffler so dropped it.out of the way too.

Passanger side mount is looking rough too. I will just plate the backside and drill holes to let it drain.

Working on cleaning it up now. Really should be replacing housing.

·
Registered
'15 Sorento LX V6, '05 Dodge Hemi Ram
147 Posts
Road salt is used heavy there, huh? :| Used very sparingly here but when it happens I rinse the underbody in quick ASAP. Glad you decided to finish the project though. Will probably make a good buggy.

·
Premium Member
'15 Soul 1.6L, '08 Sedona 3.8L, '03 Ford Escape 3.0L
311 Posts
@offroadohio

Whoa that is a mess.... I'm surprised the axle housing has enough material left to weld to....

Back in 1993 I bought a brand new F-150 & by 2008 the rear wheel wells were totally gone, I think the only thing holding the bed sides together was the paint...

I live in NW Ohio and they treated everything with the "brine" solution... Worked great as a deicer but ate the h#$! out of anything metal....

Keep the pics coming...

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The housing is thin where the mount goes. I plan to lay some weld on the housing and grind it smooth before welding new bracket on.

My big concern is the housing around the diff. It is very thin too. I'm going to wire brush it all aND see how it's looking. I may see if I can put a toyota fj80 dif guard or ford 9" diff guard on. They weld on and will protect it but I need to compare to see if I can make One work.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have the main bracket on. Going to build some gussets just Becuase I'd rather have to much than not enough. I still need to round the front top corners and grind a couple rough spots in the welds and reweld if needed (I don't claim to be a welder, so don't expect perfection)

but for the most part the bracket is built and inplace.

Here is the repaired coil mount. I was warming up my not very good welding skills on this so the welds are even worst. But it should work.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Lord it looks like I cobbled this togather

Mostly Becuase I did. All used steel, left over rustolium orange. But it is all togather.

Cut the brake line bracket and moved it down about 5 inches. So when it's time for the lift and longer shocks I won't over extended the rubber.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tires, daystar lift, trail gear toyota sliders, a wheel bearing, and new shocks and struts on order.

Decided to go with 235 85 16's instead of 265 75 16. Being that I have read some 265's hit and some fit on the EX models, and I am running RETREADS which will put push the height and width a little more, I am hoping a narrower tire will clear a little better.

I used rock auto to compare shock measurements and I also measured my original shocks to verify.

The sorento is 18.7 inches fully extended and 12.3 collapsed. with 14mm diameter mounting holes. give or take a few fractions of an inch between manufactures

a 1985 toyota 4runner is 21.6 extended and and 13.7 collapsed with a 14mm mounting hole. Same thign goes for various manufactures, lengths change a hair.

For extended bump stop I will drill a hole through a hockey puck and then weld a bolt to the axle under the frame mounted bump and bolt it down.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Got the lift all on but I still have to wait until morning to take the front knuckle in to have the wheel bearing pressed out and new one pressed in. I dont have a shop press so I'll run in and use the one at my old work. While I am there I'll swap the tires onto the rims too.

The toyota shocks were the perfect length. I had to insert a sleeve to to downsize the 19mm hole in the bushing to 14mm but other than that no issues.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts