Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I have a 2003 Sorento 2wd. Within the past few days I have noticed a loud clicking sound coming from the vents/dashboard area when I turn the heat/defrost on. The higher you turn up the air the louder it gets. The heater still gets hot and seems to be blowing/defrosting just fine.

Any ideas?

2) The second issue I really just noticed today. I drive my vehicle every day during the week. I have been home all weekend, so it has sat from approximately 7 PM on Friday through today. About 48 hours.

When I started it I noticed a very loud and obvious ticking/clicking sound. It happens when it park, when stopped but in gear, and gets louder when I accelerate. I just drove down to the store and back but was in the car approximately 15 minutes and never went over 30-35 mph. It never went away.

Any idea what that could be?

It has about 75,000 miles on it and has not had the timing belt done yet.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
1) I have a 2003 Sorento 2wd. Within the past few days I have noticed a loud clicking sound coming from the vents/dashboard area when I turn the heat/defrost on. The higher you turn up the air the louder it gets. The heater still gets hot and seems to be blowing/defrosting just fine.

Any ideas?

2) The second issue I really just noticed today. I drive my vehicle every day during the week. I have been home all weekend, so it has sat from approximately 7 PM on Friday through today. About 48 hours.

When I started it I noticed a very loud and obvious ticking/clicking sound. It happens when it park, when stopped but in gear, and gets louder when I accelerate. I just drove down to the store and back but was in the car approximately 15 minutes and never went over 30-35 mph. It never went away.

Any idea what that could be?

It has about 75,000 miles on it and has not had the timing belt done yet.
1:
Could be the blower motor, or a broken/chipped fan blade. I can safely assume it gets faster as well as louder when you turn up the fan speeds?

2:
You may have a bad CV joint or wheel bearing, possible issue with the driveshaft too. Check anything that moves when you're in motion. Does the sound change when you are turning? Does it get faster/louder with the vehicle speed, or with the engine speed?

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Oh, get that timing belt done sooner rather than later. 60,000mi isn't a magic number where it blows up if not done, BUT a number where few have failed before that point, with a sharp rise in breakage after that point. Some may go well over 100,000mi, but I would not want to find out the hard way that mine ISN'T one of those. It isn't pretty when it fails, takes most of the top part of the engine with it, so the "maintance" cost is worth it if you plan on keeping the truck running.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
#2. If the engine has been off for a long period of time the ticking sound you hear is usually after the hydraulic lifters leak down and get noisy. They usually get quiet again. If it has been awhile since the last oil change that get not help yje situation. Use a good quality 5-30 oil and filter and see what happens.

How many miles did you drive and how long did the engine run?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Yes, Timming belt soon!! Bad things will happen WHEN it breaks!
Blower motor sound could be some leaves in the housing.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the ideas!

I was wrong, it has 67,7xx miles.

When I started it this morning the ticking/clicking noise was much less noticeable. By the time I had been in the car about 3 minutes and had gone roughly 1/2 a mile to a stoplight I didn't hear it anymore. There was slight traffic noise but IF it was there it was definitely less noticeable than last night.

The timing belt not being done has been making me nervous! The 60k mile maintenance was up about 7,500 miles ago and I didn't have the $1,000 to get it done. It is definitely in my financial priority list.

My oil isn't due to be changed any time soon. It's maybe 2 months out from an oil change. I am unsure what kind of oil was used as I take it in to a tire/brake shop to get it changed.

As for the heater/defrost, it does get louder the faster or higher it blows. It sounds like something flapping around. A leaf would make sense. I will try to get a video of it today or tomorrow.

Thank you again to everyone. I am supposed to be driving down to Houston for Christmas and it made me nervous to start hearing new noises when an 8 hour one way road trip is in the imminent future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts