Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, first time here.
My wife has an 03' Sorento, she has had it for a number of years, and until now has needed no major work. It has 211800 miles, take that Toyota! :) She puts 500 + miles on it a week.
Ok, the radiator recently went bad and i replaced it today, along with a new Throttle position sensor which has been bad for some time. Engine light went out after i changed the TPS.

The problem is, and has been a problem for a while now. The car stutters when you accelerate hard or want to pass someone. But, if you put the car down in 1st it will accelerate smoothly, into 2nd, ok, but back into drive, it begins to stutter again.
Is there something i need to check, another sensor? ECU ?

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Check the transmission fluid, and if it needs changed, don't do a power or reverse flush. Let gravity drain it out, and replace it and fill back to proper level. USE THE CORRECT FLUID!!!
When was the last time you changed the plugs/wires??
In lower gears, it may still be stuttering, but not noticeable since you're running it at a higher rpm than it would be in drive.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,501 Posts
She puts 500 + miles on it a week.

At that rate it is going to need plugs and a Timing belt every 2 years. Based on the maintenance schedule. WP every 4. Wow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the transmission fluid, and if it needs changed, don't do a power or reverse flush. Let gravity drain it out, and replace it and fill back to proper level. USE THE CORRECT FLUID!!!
When was the last time you changed the plugs/wires??
In lower gears, it may still be stuttering, but not noticeable since you're running it at a higher rpm than it would be in drive.

embarrased to say, the plugs/wires have never been changed!

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
It has 211800 miles... !!!

You are VERY lucky that has never gone out on you. At that point, I can't even rule out that the belt is starting to stretch allowing the timing to waver a little bit causing some issues.

If you plan on keeping it, I would get that, plugs/wires, and water pump changed ASAP, you might be surprised that the symptoms disappear after just a bit of TLC ;)

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Timing belt has never been replaced.
Gentlemen we have discovered the secret to long lasting Sorentos, just keep them away from dealers.

In 211,000 miles. > 340,000 Km. You must be doing something right.

You must obviously be one of God's chosen ones. Some people have had them fail before the 100,000 Km first change. They are certainly capable of doing much more but 100,000 is more like a minimum standard that 99.99% will reach.
Don't forget too that the belts also deteriorate with age I think that 7 years is the often quoted figure even if you haven't hit the mileage.

I would do the belt, plugs, wires, and change every fluid in the car. The Kia manual in Aus cars says that the auto anf transfer case oils are "no change" don't believe it, that is just to keep the dealer service costs down. Change them regularly and the assemblies will last much longer. Heat and old oil is what kills autos, most never actually "wear" out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentlemen we have discovered the secret to long lasting Sorentos, just keep them away from dealers.

In 211,000 miles. > 340,000 Km. You must be doing something right.

You must obviously be one of God's chosen ones. Some people have had them fail before the 100,000 Km first change. They are certainly capable of doing much more but 100,000 is more like a minimum standard that 99.99% will reach.
Don't forget too that the belts also deteriorate with age I think that 7 years is the often quoted figure even if you haven't hit the mileage.

I would do the belt, plugs, wires, and change every fluid in the car. The Kia manual in Aus cars says that the auto anf transfer case oils are "no change" don't believe it, that is just to keep the dealer service costs down. Change them regularly and the assemblies will last much longer. Heat and old oil is what kills autos, most never actually "wear" out
It has only been to the dealer for recall items... Thanks for all the advise, it is much appreciated.. I will tackle those items mentioned here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Exactly what was the procedure used in changing the TPS? I would sure like to know how to do that myself....the way it was worded in the original post made it seem like he just swapped it out and ran with it.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I agree, he may have got lucky and hit close to the right adjustment by chance. After all he seems to have been lucky with most else!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
You must be one of the luckiest people in the world. If I had a car that needed a t-belt change at 60,000 miles, and I didn't do it, it would break at 60,001 miles. Guaranteed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just changed my timing belt at 250,000 Kms. and only because the waterpump was leaking. i don't get the idea that those belts need to be changed so much, never heard of anyone ever changing one on any vehicle they have ever owned. on this site it seams people do it almost as much as they change the oil! :)

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Jason, its precautionary. kinda like changing oil. Dont NEED to do it, but you do. Could run oil in there for 100 000km if you really want to. it wont have any properties of oil any more, just like a belt after about 100 000 km will have a higher tendency to snap...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts