Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang.Have a 03 Sorento. Very inconsistent stalling. My daughter drives it. It will stall when stopped at a light or stop sign. It cranks back up, but not instantly. It doesn't do this all the time. The check engine light is on then off. We took it to a local shop (not Kia) of course it ran fine for the mechanic and the check engine isn't on, so he can't hook up diagnostic. REALLY dread taking to the only kia dealer for miles here in Maine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
Error code should still be in memory even after light went off. Did he tried to check for codes? If you have Autozone in the area they can hook up scanner and check for codes for free and give a little report what they found.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,938 Posts
Like Maksik said the error codes will be stored and will be reteiveable even when the engine won't run....
Sounds like you may have a dirty IAC (idle air control).If it sticks the idle will drop and the car will stall.
Do a search on this forum of Google "Sorento IAC"
I would be nice to have the size engine (2.4L 4cyl/2.7L V6), Mileage on the car, Where your general location, and general maintainence done recently.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks to both.....The Sorento has a 6cy engine, 150k miles, has not had a timing belt replaced. I spoke to a service tech today, he said sound like crank shaft sensor, which is behind timing belt, so were arranging to have belt replaced and the sensor along with.....

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
Thanks to both.....The Sorento has a 6cy engine, 150k miles, has not had a timing belt replaced. I spoke to a service tech today, he said sound like crank shaft sensor, which is behind timing belt, so were arranging to have belt replaced and the sensor along with.....
well, besides timing belt may I suggest to change also water pump, belt tensioner and rollers. You don't want to change belt and find out later that either water pump or any of the rollers failed.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Yeah, definitely worth doing at this point (it's overdue 2x already!!). I fought with a similar weird stalling, and it was fixed by replacing BOTH the Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors (I would do both, they're not expensive and both are behind the timing belt, they work in tandem and need to agree on where things are). Since my truck was only at 55k, the shop didn't feel the need to replace water pump and pullies until next belt change time at 120k. In my van, same exact thing. They changed one sensor, didn't fix it, put the origional back in, changed the other, didn't fix it... got the bright idea to put both new sensors in, and never had a problem since. When the truck did it, I made them do both with the timing belt. Been running just fine since.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Yep definately sounds like either the crank or cam - or both sensors. Sounds exactly like what happened to mine at 120,00Km, a new crank sensor fixed it. Apparently this not an uncommon thing with the Mitsubishi design engine.
The auto electrician I took mine to said he had never done a Kia before. When I described the symptoms and said it was exactly the same as the Mitsubishi Pajero 3.5 DOHC, engine, he said straigt away, oh it will be the crank sensor then!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts