Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everybody. I have a 2003 Sorrento with 103,000 miles on it is a LX. I think I need to replace my engine. I run a lawn care business out of my vehicle and I always have a trailer with me. How big of an engine can I go without getting too crazy. Because before my engine went bad the main problem I had was just not enough power.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,606 Posts
Okay everybody. I have a 2003 Sorrento with 103,000 miles on it is a LX. I think I need to replace my engine. I run a lawn care business out of my vehicle and I always have a trailer with me. How big of an engine can I go without getting too crazy. Because before my engine went bad the main problem I had was just not enough power.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your Profile/Account Details

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/account-details

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2008 SORENTO EX
74 Posts
It all depends on how much money (and time) you are willing to spend. There are at least two 1/1.5 gen Sorentos on Youtube with V8 (one is an LS) swap. You could swap in a 1.5Gen 3.8L which has about 70 more HP, but you would need to swap in the wiring hardness, ECU, etc. Plus, the latter 1/1.5Gen had the 5sp auto tranny which you'll probably want to match the engine. But all of this would be on the 'crazy' side.

There aren't too many aftermarket performance parts for the 3.5L 1st gen engines. You'd be better living with it or upgrading to a more powerful vehicle...or at least find a decent 1.5Gen with the 3.8L engine...even the smaller 3.3L in the 1.5Gen is more powerful than the 3.5L 1st Gen engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts