Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.. New here, so be kind! :)

My Sorento has the above error code, (High Speed CAN bus communication) and the orange engine light displayed.
This warning light appears after the engine cuts out while normal driving.
The car is hard to start (10 seconds of turning over)
Sometimes the engine dies as soon as the engine has started, but will re-start if left for a few minutes.
I have replaced glow plugs, battery, fuel pump and had the injectors refurbed.

Some years ago the ECU under the passenger side got damp, but was dried out and wrapped up and seemed ok.

Any ideas what could be wrong please, as I am loathed to spend any more money!!

Thanks,
Mark
UK - 2003 Kia Sorento 2.5 CRD SE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you cleaned the strainer in the fuel tank? google 'Sorento fuel tank delamination'.
Thanks Gee6.. yes I've done that, and changed the fuel filter too... Based on the CAN bus error, i'm assuming it's a throttle position sensor, although that error code seems to hide any number of issues... I also had the injectors refurbished and the injector pump replaced.. as I assumed it was a fueling issue.. still behaving the same :'(
I'm also in rural Bedfordshire!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The CAN bus error may be a red herring. The early models didn't really use Can bus functionally. Even later models it is iffy. 'Hard starting' could be failure of the diesel return pipes off the injectors - air in the system can do that. Heat and age can fatigue the pipes. (Also same applies to injector connectors but not so usual on diesel models.) Look up 'injector leak off test'. Likewise, any reduction of fuel pressure below set levels will trigger limp mode and limited injection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The CAN bus error may be a red herring. The early models didn't really use Can bus functionally. Even later models it is iffy. 'Hard starting' could be failure of the diesel return pipes off the injectors - air in the system can do that. Heat and age can fatigue the pipes. (Also same applies to injector connectors but not so usual on diesel models.) Look up 'injector leak off test'. Likewise, any reduction of fuel pressure below set levels will trigger limp mode and limited injection.
Anyone want it for scrap?

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Czech. rep.
Kia Sorento 2,5 Crdi 125 kw Automatik

I think the problem will be in fuel pressure regulator

Thanks.. I plugged it in again last night and got the 'P1181' error code, which may point in this direction... I can see some other threads on this error, so will look at those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts