Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona ex
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am helping a friend with his 03 Sedona ex, 147000 miles. USA.
The mini van refused to restart after temperature was a hot but normal.
I replaced the coolant temp sensor and that took care of that.
Now the temp gauge shows high temp(3 quarters up) when stopped, like at a traffic light, then goes down when the car is on the move.
I shorted the 2 fan relays and the fans came on. I swapped the relays with the horn relay and they seem to be ok.
I don't understand, though, why that fans come when I disconnect the pigtail of the coolant temp sensor.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona ex
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also when the engine is running and I reconnect the sensor pigtail, the fans come on. But when I restart the engine with the pigtail connected , the fans won't come on.
They come on only when I restart the engine with the pigtail disconnected.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
116 Posts
Hi all
I am helping a friend with his 03 Sedona ex, 147000 miles. USA.
The mini van refused to restart after temperature was a hot but normal.
I replaced the coolant temp sensor and that took care of that.
Now the temp gauge shows high temp(3 quarters up) when stopped, like at a traffic light, then goes down when the car is on the move.
I shorted the 2 fan relays and the fans came on. I swapped the relays with the horn relay and they seem to be ok.
I don't understand, though, why that fans come when I disconnect the pigtail of the coolant temp sensor.
Any help would be appreciated.
Somethings to look at.

The Sedona engine is pretty tough with temps but you will have to look at it.

Only thing I can think of is you have half empty radiator since your fans are working. Or, plugged area somewhere in coolant system.

Check radiator cap and see if the coolant is up to the neck. If not, you have issues.

You could have a full tank in the coolant reservoir and half empty radiator and you won't know it until you open the cap.

There could be a tiny hole in the return hose to reservoir that is venting small amounts of coolant from radiator.

Radiator needs vacuum to let coolant expand and contract. If not, you can have coolant going to reservoir then not returning (no vacuum) to radiator when engine cools. Repeat cycles and you could have low coolant in radiator.

Or, there is a small leak from the radiator or the heater pipes to the rear heater fan. (there are 2 pipes - to and return pipes - runs along passenger side). You don't have to raise the car but it is easier if you raise it a little on that side.

You have to check all the areas so that there is no leak of the coolant.

I did following things:

- change coolant reservoir hose (no leak but old)

- change radiator (fairly reasonable price from Adva. Auto parts) - but it's a pain to change. (at 170,000 miles) - radiator WILL go bad - was leaking very small but was leaking for sure (you need a special tool to check radiator leak - bought tool from Harbor Freight)

- replace coolant pipes to rear heater (along bottom) with heater hoses (by pass the long pipe length that are rusted) hoses are cheaper (use hose clamps - no cutting needed due to original small portions are hoses ) - almost was catastrophic leak due to leak from rust.

·
Registered
02 Sedona 80k 500SL 34k 300SE 161k 300E
82 Posts
I replaced coolant sensor also a while back, my temp was still going up on gauge, I went back to parts store and exchanged for another brand and its been fine for a year now, talk about chasing your tail, crappy parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts