Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Sedona EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 sedona, 139k, going down the interstate for vacation, the cruise control suddenly quit, and the speedo read 0. At first, there was no code thrown. Seems to be running fine otherwise, shifts and drives normal. The next day the CEL came on, and my harbor freight code reader says p0500, vehicle speed sensor.

I ordered and replaced the output sensor on the tranny, but that did not fix the issue. I do not have ABS, so there is no wheel speed sensor.

according to Kiatechinfo.com, it is a faulty wheel speed sensor, but I dont seem to have one where the picture shows it.

any other options before I take it to the dealer when we get home?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
I would still check the right front wheel (passenger side) behind the hub for a sensor. Look for the wire from the inner fender to the hub. Some KIAs do not use the transmission sensors and you do have cruse and it depends on the sensor to regulate the speed.

My 06 Spectra SX has ABS, cruse,and automatic tranny...
When working on the right rear suspension (correcting damage done to the car when it was in the salvage yard) I damaged that wheel's ABS sensor...It inactivated the ABS, the cruse, and caused a much higher shift point on the gears.. Replacing it corrected all the problems...
Are you sure you also didn't replace the input speed sensor on the tranny?
Also be sure to check all of the cabin fuses.
Dave

·
Registered
2003 Sedona EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I double checked, I do not see any wheel sensors. no wires at all, only the brake line.

I am certain it was the output sensor. Box says genuine kia part number, 42621 39052 sensor assy output speed.

Edit : threw the code on the way to church this morning. P0500 speed sensor circuit A

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Well it sounds like the ECM (engine control module) is not getting the pulses that the sensor should generate. The ECMs usually do not fail so I would be looking at wiring problems. The car throwing codes while you are driving tells me that vibration may be a good indicator of a bad connection. Earlier KIAs have had corrosion problems and the most common ones are ground connections where the wiring harnesses are bolted to the body of the car. You need to unbolt these wires, scrape the body and the ground lug to bare metal, apply silicon grease to keep out air, water, and salt...and re-install the bolt.
If you loose a ground the sensor will not operate... Follow the wiring harness away from the sensor and look for a single wire going to the body/frame. Also check the plugs and sockets for corrosion...
I hope this helps (and the Devil stays out of your way).
Dave

·
Registered
2003 Sedona EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didnt find any ground problems, but after digging deeper through the wiring diagrams on kiatech, figured out there is a geared sensor just for the speedo.

$70 from the dealer and it is fixed. (part number 46510-39500) It is really only accessible from under the vehicle with double-jointed elbows, but I got it replaced. It is only top rear passenger side of the transmission.

If anyone else is interested, There is a wire clip that holds the elec connector on, that pulls off easily. then one 10mm bolt, then work the sensor up and out. Put some ATF on the new sensor, and drop it in. Put the bolt back in, the plug and clip. Took about 20 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
He>mE...
Thank You for taking the time to share what you found and how to get at it.
I'm sure that others will value your findings.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts