Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
03 Sedona 3.5
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 sedona 3.5 w/81000 miles started shutting off while driving last summer in texas 85F or higher ambient temp, now temp does not need to be as hot but still warm the van runs and starts fine then all electrics will shut off (dash radio a/c) while driving highway, city, even pulling in the driveway shutting off the engine (wife is very unhappy w/this new option) the car will usually start right back up it will also stutter/shudder while driving I'm out of ideas. I've replaced the TPS, plugs and wires cleaned the fuel system from throttle body to additives with no change, no codes are being thrown I'm at the point of either throwing more money at this thing or trading in 4 something from another manufacturer please help save my sedona (I'd rather not have a car note if possible)

·
Registered
2004 Sedona EX 3.5L
32 Posts
I just went thru this very same problem in my 2004 sedona. I had no check engine codes. I replaced my battery and alternator ( even though both tested okay),and replaced the following; my ignition switch, main computer, chassis computer, the main fuse/relay box, and fixed the grounds. None of them fixed the problem. I finally figured it out by accident. The problem was the aluminum battery terminals that Kia used to hook up the battery. They looked mint, but when I took mine apart , the aluminum coating was slightly oxidized between the copper wire and the crimped on terminal. Replacing the terminals fixed all the crazy electrical problems; filckering interior lights, flickering headlights, flickering taillights, car would almost die, then car would die etc. The problems were also sporadic, I could go weeks with no problems, then a day or two where it was so bad that I wanted to junk the van. My van only has 62k on it, and I knew that once I tracked down the problem, it would be a simple silver bullet easy fix, but WOW, it was a tough diagnosis. I would recommend cutting off both battery terminals and replacing them ( even though they will look okay, the oxidized aluminum looks clean ) , and clean off all the wiring harness grounds that you can find in the engine compartment that attach to the body. I found four grounding points and sanded them down.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
To both of you WELCOME and jlps what a fine way to join a forum... That's Coming in ...in style...Helping others! Class!

wifesminivan...
This is the reason this forum exists...To help others...To share our KIA stories...and...to solve problems... I hope you settle in...We'll find the problem(s)
and you'll like your van once again...
You might want to read through the Sedona area you might find answers to some other unanswered "problems"
We've got a fine bunch of members here to help...
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts