Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing the timing belt on a 1.6 and the tensioner was not tight and the belt slipped when I was rotating it with a ratchet. The pistons have come up against a valve and stopped. i think they are allwright because I was only turning it by hand. How can I find TDC on the piston and get both cams in the right time

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
468 Posts
take the valve cover off so you can see the cams/valve springs. Gently roll the cams to their proper positions(which should be all valves closed). You can see where the valves are sitting so you know they are "up" or closed. Roll the crank to its TDC position (making sure the number one cylinder is indeed at top dead center by pulling a plug and looking in (or inserting long wire/stick into cylinder and seeing if piston #1 is all the way UP. The crank TDC mark should be at its place right there. If not....roll it around another 360 till it is.
Hopefully you didn't bend a valve.....
The cams can be deciphered by looking at the lobes and doing the logic. If everything were as designed, and at TDC(point of ignition), the cams roll and the exhaust opens , then they roll more and the exhaust closes, then the intake opens, then all close just before compression and TDC again. If you roll the crank so all pistons are away from tops, you can roll the cams through their circles and see what the sequence is. Roll them through and set them back in the right places(marks UP).
Hope I am making sense....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts