Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
03 SOrento EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I recently came across this forum while searching for a problem.

First let me say, I love my SUV but since it has hit 100,000 miles, it has been going down hill.

The most recent problem is my Sorento started making this loud noise when accelerating. If I let off the gas it doesn't make the noise. The weird part is it only does it after about 20 mins once it gets to the normal running temperature. When you start it up, you would never know there was a problem, it's not until it gets warmed up that it starts making the loud noise, won't go over 20mph then kills.

I've been told several different things could be wrong with it such as its a clogged oil pump, a valve issue, and the catalytic converter. However, none of them know for sure.

I know there are probably a million different causes for this but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what did you do to fix it.

About to pull my hair out behind this :puzzled: ANy help anyone could give me would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Can you be a bit more specific about where the loud noise is comong from? Engine, gearbox, diff? etc. What sort of noise? That would help us help you.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
:00000732: to the forum.

Can you do the work yourself or do you take it to a mechanic?

·
Registered
03 SOrento EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you be a bit more specific about where the loud noise is comong from? Engine, gearbox, diff? etc. What sort of noise? That would help us help you.
It sounds as if it is coming from the engine and I would describe it as a loud clatter noise. Almost like a diesel engine that is having trouble :confused: It's really loud. I will ask my husband to describe the sound and get back with you on that.

Can you do the work yourself or do you take it to a mechanic?
I have a family member who is a mechanic that is coming to look at it in a few days. My husband usually does most of the work on our cars but this one has us stumped. So I am just trying to get some opinions of what it sounds like before he comes. If we can figure it out, than we will try to fix it ourselves.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Do any warning lights illuminate on the dash(check engine light, oil light, etc)? Have you had it scanned for trouble codes? All maintenance up to date?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
I can address the cat issues. You have 3. 1 on each exhaust manifold and 1 just before the exhaust muffler. To eliminate the single cat(Pre muffler) unbolt the Cat and support with some wire. Drive the vehicle and see if the 20 MPH issue goes away. Don't worry it is not real loud. If you get your power back then you illiminated that problem. Hubby can do this one. If you have an impact wrench it makes removing the nuts easier.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sounds as if it is coming from the engine and I would describe it as a loud clatter noise. Almost like a diesel engine that is having trouble :confused: It's really loud. I will ask my husband to describe the sound and get back with you on that.

Its hard for me to tell without actually hearing it, but last time I heard a clunking sound like a struggling diesel, it turned out that one of the piston rods was busted and was just flopping all over the place.

Does the sound happen randomly or is it a steady sound that matches engine speed? And in the mean time, check the oil level, just to make sure :)

·
Registered
03 SOrento EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do any warning lights illuminate on the dash(check engine light, oil light, etc)? Have you had it scanned for trouble codes? All maintenance up to date?
No warning lights at all. Yes, I had a friend of mine check for codes and nothing came back. Yes all maintenance is up to date.

I can address the cat issues. You have 3. 1 on each exhaust manifold and 1 just before the exhaust muffler. To eliminate the single cat(Pre muffler) unbolt the Cat and support with some wire. Drive the vehicle and see if the 20 MPH issue goes away. Don't worry it is not real loud. If you get your power back then you illiminated that problem. Hubby can do this one. If you have an impact wrench it makes removing the nuts easier.
I will tell him about this when he gets home this evening.

Does the sound happen randomly or is it a steady sound that matches engine speed? And in the mean time, check the oil level, just to make sure
No it is a steady sound that matches the engine speed. Someone told be it sounded like ALL my valves were shaking ? The oil is fine, that was the first thing I checked ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
How would we check if that were it? I am starting to think this may be my problem:(
I have never experienced this issue, but I would have to say that if you are hearing a sound that is not random and is more steady like a valve knocking, this might not be it. If its random and gets worse or better without notice, might be the butterfly valves, but like I said, I have never seen them go bad, but I know they do.

Speaking of which, if they are not bad, and have never been worked on, look in this forum on rigging them so that they do not get sucked into the motor.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
The only real way to check the butterfly valves for sure is to remove the intake manifold. You could try removing the spark plugs one by one and checking for metal bits or damage, if a screw is bouncing around in there there probably is some.

Another alternative is oil starvaation caused by a blocked oil pickup screen. Is your engine clean or sludgy? If Hyundai made a close copy of the Mitsu engine, the 3.5 quad cam Mitsu engines had a very fine screen on the oil pump pickup, this has been known to block up with sludge particles when the engine is warm, causing oil starvation and noisy hydraulic lifters. (when the engine is cold they drop off and sink back to the botttom of the sump so you don't always get the noise on startup)

I guess a third possibility is a dead knock sensor. Under acceleration this could cause pre-ignition if the ECU advances the timing too much, which sounds just like diesel knock. However I would expect this to throw a code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts