Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,to make a long story as short as i can... doing a favor for friend....yeah thats how it always starts....

Vehicle came in with oil leak,160k miles. Leaking from valve covers....not knowing what i was in for,agreed to do it for 100 to help them out... FML.
After taking several pictures and videos since this is unfamiliar ground for me although i am a tech by trade. I upsold plugs and wires while i was in there since it wasnt much more work...reassembled it all, now #5 has a miss.. p0305.. pretty good vibration at idle,but smooths out off idle....
OK to shorten it up in no order whatsoever. These are the things i have done that failed to fix this #%#%@

Swapped wires
swapped plugs
swapped coil packs
new injector
new inj harness
compression test 4 times. within 20psi of all other cylinders.
new surge tank gasket
new TB gasket
cleaned MAF
cleaned TB
Replaced Several vacuum hoses.
Sealed all around 2 plenum halves and IVC or ICV whatever its called. Both ends to ensure no vacuum leak. Can spray two cans of brake clean everywhere on intake and doesnt change anything.
Disabled the butterflys.
rechecked to see confirm all butterflys and screws are there. they are.
Rechecked and confirmed spark at #5
Rechecked and confirmed fuel dumping in #5. likewise with adjacent cylinders.
Rechecked GAP on plug,swapped again.
The **** am i missing?
Im now two weeks into this devil car AND much more $$ than ill get.... IDFK what to do next?
Have noticed if you romp on throttle from idle real quick it does a little spark knock(or sounds like one) then goes away.. Not everytime,but worse the hotter it gets...

Im 100% sure i didnt drop anything in intake,and 100% sure compression is good.

·
Registered
2004 Sorento
33 Posts
good compression n spark, any other codes other than a 305? the injector connectors get very brittle with age on these things actually all the underhood plastic does Aziz you've prob seen. I'd check that connector to make sure it didn't break..pia as it seems to get to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swapped plug with known good,swapped wire with known good.. even ran a external wire over intake to ensure no crossfire

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
Until you correct the crankshaft timing mark everything else won't matter. Even if the cams are in time the engine is not.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
uhm... how the heck TB jumped? Was it due to "TB cleaning"? Was the TB replaced recently?
It just does not make any sense now.
Since it is 160k miles, lets change the TB (unless you know what it was replaced last time) and get the things straight.
Without proper timing... forget about doing anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I understand that Nstoolman.
I Removed and installed a new belt which although the pass side cams fought me since bolt came loose,i still managed to get it lined up the first time. Turned engine over 6 times by hand and still in time.
No TB cleaning or anything recently. (that i know of)
I was under the impression it happened after Valve cover gaskets....But thats questionable now....
Ive never,ever,ever seen a TB jump just the crank and be perfect everywhere else....And the tensioner is still hard,has 4.2mm sticking out after 2 revolutions and 5+minutes. Belts was tight,and new one is tight.
Im not sure,but that waterpump appears to have been replaced before?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
Fix crank timing. If that doesn't do it you have the crank and cam sensors left to try. PITA I know.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX 2WD 3.5L ATX
2 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread - but i believe i have the same issue now. Is there anyway to check the crank timing mark without taking all the pulleys out?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
The original poster said "I upsold plugs and wires while i was in there since it wasnt much more work" ...If he "upsold" to Bosch multi-tips and didn't use NGKs or Densos I'd bet that's why he all of a sudden had misfire codes...
KIAs don't like "special" plugs and most definitely hates BOSCH.
They WILL set misfire codes in the ECM.
Dave

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX 2WD 3.5L ATX
2 Posts
I have all NGKs and the misfire code for cylinder 2 (0302) consistently pops up - replaced plugs, coils, wires, injectors, harness, and still the same code. The misfire seems to happen only on acceleration from a full stop - truck runs fine otherwise and gets 16-17 mpg - misfire worsens with temperature. All hoses and most of the intake gaskets (TB, manifold etc) have been replaced. The Variable intake valves are fully functional. Compression levels are within 15psi range of each other.The only things i haven't looked at is the timing and crank sensor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts