Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! We have a Kia Sedona that has a gremlin in the transmission. When it gets cool to cold outside, the automatic transmission will not engage. After everything warms up, it works just fine. I went for the obvious and changed the transmission fluid to something that FAR exceeds Kias requirements. It's a synthetic so it should be very temperature stable. That did not change a thing. It seems to be temperature related and affects both forward and reverse. If you rev the engine a little, all of a sudden it will bang into gear and go...no good for anything in the driveline so we don't do that but it does engage if you rev the engine up. If anyone has a clue, please share because neither Kia knows (or is not saying) and my independent shop has not heard of this before. If we keep the van in the heated garage, all works great but I sure would like to fix this problem...I may need to make a fast get away from a seedy hotel after I have parked there overnight! :) Thanks for the help gang!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've experienced this same situation with three other vehicles. In all cases the main pump was worn out. When the tranny warms up and metal expanded to permit some sealing, I guess enough pressure finally builds up to operate the tranny. On one car the pump eventually failed. I had the other two rebuilt before I got totally stranded. Using a fluid other than SP-III may hasten this decline since seal compatibility with the new fluid is unknown. I would take the car to a good transmission mechanic since I think you are looking at a total rebuild.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trans problems

Thanks for the reply guys...gee I hope it's not "worn out" or needs a total rebuilt, the van only has 86,000 miles on it and we haven't beat it in any way. I will ask my local trans guy to look at the possibility of replacing the pump and see if that is the problem. That sure sounds plausable since higher RPM's or warm up would both help the situation. I was wondering if there was a tolerance problem int he trans but now you guys have me thinking in a different direction. Thanks for your input, I will let you know what I find out! Reid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,
I did a quick search and while I did not find a Kia transmission pump, there were pump seals readily available so this sort of leads us to the earlier conclusion that perhaps they have a seal problem in the pump! It's a good place to start looking and first thing on Monday, I will call the transmission guy and see what he says. Too bad the snow is coming...the 65 Mustang is put up for the winter and the F-250 is WAY too expensive to feed every day... I will let you know what I find out...Reid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
rsusmark
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing