Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learning about, but not totally versed in car knowledge, so I turn to y'all.
To preface: yes the engine light is on. No I have not been to a mechanic yet (it's only been about a week or two. No money) but will likely be paying them a visit soon.

Received an '03 Kia Rio RxV 'Sport' from a relative of mine who passed away. He bought it second hand from a local fellow and drove it very very little. For almost the entire time he drove it it sat in his garage. It only has about 116,700 KM on it.

All in all, runs well. Had it in to a mechanic to get it inspected about a month ago, passed for two years and he did some brake work.
I've been noticing that the car has a pretty steady vibration when idle. I can feel it in the pedal and it changes depending on what gear I am in. Once I am driving it seems to disappear and not be a problem.

Two other odd things have been happening, whether they are related or not I don't know.

If I turn it on after it has been sitting for a bit--maybe overnight, or all day--all of a sudden it revs up to about a steady 2000RPM while in park. If I tap the gas pedal it seems to go back down to around 1000rpm or so and sound more 'normal'. This seems to happen only when I have left it for a while and returned, and though I haven't kept track I don't think it happens every single time.

Tonight I noticed that when I shifted into reverse there was an audible click, or clunk and then the idling vibration started. Going from R to N seemed to lessen the vibration and there was no clunk, and there was a little bit of one going from N to D, and the vibration returned, although less.

I thought I read somewhere that the early 00s Kia Rios were notable for shaky engines and cruddy mounts or brackets. Could this be the issue?
I have checked fluids and everything appears to be fine, especially transmission fluid and oil--which I just topped up yesterday. There are definitely no leaks.

P.S.
I have read on here that I can find information on cleaning the IAC on kiatechinfo.com

I tried and none of my damn computers will open the privacy window so I Can't even register. Could someone who does have access to it possibly post the guide to cleaning the IAC on here? I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So just yesterday I got into the car in my garage and turned the electrical on.

I started to hear this electrical buzzing sound and got out to try and find it.

Sure enough, I traced it right to where the throttle housing is.

From other things I read, I take it that this is most likely the IACV buzzing, perhaps struggling through all the carbon and crud built up?

I notice, for example, that if I let the car sit overnight and turn it on the shuddering, and the buzzing sound from the electrical is worse than after I turn it on if I've been out driving for a while.

Now, I did manage to sign up for kiatechinfo, but I can't seem to find a guide to removing the IACV to clean it. Nor can I find a schematic on where it is actually located in the engine.

I have a car-savvy friend with all the tools I would need, I just don't know how to access it. Any help in that regard would be grand and most appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
The iac is located below the T/B 2 bolts and an electrical connector to remove. This is from memory so it may not be correct, take the air box and hoses off to get at it better. Remove it and spray it up with carb cleaner let it soak. Using a non metal object plastic thing try moving the valve back and forth if needed use more carb cleaner and soak some more just get it moving it may take a whole can of carb cleaner to do it just spray and work it back and forth it some untill it's free also clean the T/B and clean the MAF sensor with maf cleaner only. Hope this help's somewhat. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, so I got into it a bit the other day and took off or moves aside the air filter housing. Once I found the throttle housing I couldn't figure out where he iacv was exactly so I took some pictures.

Is this little thing with the sticker the iacv?

Or is it the black box behind that ribbed cable on the side of the pipe?

Thanks

C

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,242 Posts
Thanks, so I got into it a bit the other day and took off or moves aside the air filter housing. Once I found the throttle housing I couldn't figure out where he iacv was exactly so I took some pictures.

Is this little thing with the sticker the iacv? - Yes, that is the IAC

Or is it the black box behind that ribbed cable on the side of the pipe? - No, that is the TPS.

Thanks

C
See comments above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts