Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happened, I was driving my 2003 Kia Rio Base the other day and I stopped at a red light, I then noticed my car had shut off (it is a manual and I thought I may had taken my foot of the clutch just a little to much and with the radio playing a little to loud killed my car without noticing) I tried to start it but it made an odd noise. I then pushed my car out of the intersection and called my work (I work at a used car lot) and asked a mechanic what was going on, he said it was the timing belt. I got the car home and check the timing belt which looked intact so I gave him another call, he said to have someone try to start the car with the cover off to check if it spins, if it does them it's not the belt and if it doesn't then it is the belt and the teeth got stripped. Sure enough the belt didn't spin.

Some questions about the above. I know that if I was driving down the free way then the engine has some major problems but since I was at a light does that make a difference? With this type of engine does turning the key with a broke timing belt damage the engine? If so why would he tell me to turn the key to test the belt?

Now onto the procedure. In the process of changing the belt I noticed that when the crankshaft timing mark was lined up (correct me if I'm wrong but it's the indent on the pulley and it's the little triangle on the engine) the camshaft timing marks (the I and E) were at about 1-2 o'clock. I was under the impression that all of these will line up at 12 o'clock.

For some more question. Does that mean the valves got bent or does that just happen and I need to keep rotating the whole system until it all lines up?

I'm new to this and I enjoy it but I just have some question, any help is appreciated. :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Your chances are poor that you have NO damage to the engine as it is an Interference type engine..The crank is moving (pistons up and down) and some of the valves ARE open.
The valves are not opening and closing because the cam pulley is not moving (broken or teeth missing on the bottom of the belt down by the crank).
It's too bad you didn't come here sooner we could have saved your engine...
Now it's likely you have bent valves and possibly damaged pistons. These engines demand a premium and are in short supply.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checking my understanding, every time I turned the key the crankshaft rammed pistons into the valves that are closed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have kind of the same issue, but mine is a freak accident. My a/c belt melted off because of a bad bearing on the tensioner belt pulley which melted through my timing belt housing unit and clogged up and gunked my timing belt and my car shut off while driving... HELP!!!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
There's just a chance that the engine stopped soon enough (when you were at the red light) that there was little or no damage. Trying to start the engine was a bad move; were there any bad-sounding noises?

Honestly, a simply cannot work out why car makers ever decided to use belts rather than chains for this job. I guess there would be 10% fewer posts on the forum if KIA had stuck with chains.

I've seen synthetic belts do a great job in such applications as electronic equipment, but in most cases, a break just means a quick replacement, not a $400 job or a junked car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts