Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help and diagram for my 02 sporty 4x4. Was told the noise I have is the rear wheel bearings but all the auto stores say the different things, about whether I have a hub assembly or not, whether it needs 2 bearings per side, or just one. I love my sporty and I am at the end of my rope, can someone please help me.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings Nayna,

Welcome to the forum.

--
Your '02 Sporty should have (1) rear wheel bearing, mounted directly on the axle shaft.

The rear drum bolts directly to the rear axle, e.g. there are no wheel bearings in the drum.

The following link from AutoZone details the layout and repair:

| Repair Guides | Rear Suspension | Wheel Bearings | AutoZone.com

*I have never had to (replace) the rear wheel bearings here, only remove the axle: the repair guide indicates a bearing press is needed to install the wheel bearing on the axle: so I dunno if it is possible to remove & install w/ alternate method, this is fyi.

HTH & Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
First you have to understand drive trains..

Basics:
If you have independent suspension, then you will have a hub assembly (2 bearing).

If you have a solid axle, then the bearing is installed on the axle shaft (1 bearing), which in turn installs into the axle tube...

... Philip

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
Need help and diagram for my 02 sporty 4x4. Was told the noise I have is the rear wheel bearings but all the auto stores say the different things, about whether I have a hub assembly or not, whether it needs 2 bearings per side, or just one. I love my sporty and I am at the end of my rope, can someone please help me.
I posted some pictures of my rear wheel bearing set up awhile back. If you search on my topics/threads you may find it. I have an 02 4x4 4dr, AT. I just had a single pressed on wheel bearing with two oil seals. lockring, and locknut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts