Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that is what is going on. 2002 sportage 4dr with 80k automatic. 4w works but when im in 2H I can be going down the road and then its like I rode over a bump and a clunk noise up front. Had mechanic look at it, he mentioned the vaccum leaks with thise. He greased and cleaned some stuff. it worked for a day then day 2 it was randomly happening again a few times a day.. Vaccum leak? If I get the warn manual hubs installed will any warning lights show on dash? Those hubs seam pretty easy to install, is there anything different on the 2002 4dr that may cause issues when installing?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think that is what is going on. 2002 sportage 4dr with 80k automatic. 4w works but when im in 2H I can be going down the road and then its like I rode over a bump and a clunk noise up front. Had mechanic look at it, he mentioned the vaccum leaks with thise. He greased and cleaned some stuff. it worked for a day then day 2 it was randomly happening again a few times a day.. Vaccum leak? If I get the warn manual hubs installed will any warning lights show on dash? Those hubs seam pretty easy to install, is there anything different on the 2002 4dr that may cause issues when installing?
>>vacuum leak?

( Rehabbing / cleaning the auto-hubs: )

Or a sticking hub, or a sticking vacuum actuator..

Would pull the hubs and thoroughly clean, then lightly re-grease, too much, or excess old grease in the auto hubs -will- cause issues.

If the problem started after trying to go into 4x4 mode, also check the vacuum connections to the 4x4 actuator mounted inside the engine compartment, driver's side fender well across from the exhaust manifold.

If the vacuum lines are in good condition / tight, try (pulling) the vacuum line that runs to the wheel wells to equalize pressure in the hubs, see if that helps.

Also would recommend checking the 4x4 vacuum feed - this is located on the Intake Manifold, at the back, close to the block, at the bottom of the manifold (in other words, it's buried back there..) -

if any doubt, reverse-trace the vacuum line from the 4x4 actuator -> the metal feed lines running along the back of the motor -> the 4x4 vacuum feed. *This hose cracks/splits with age, replace if at all suspect..

Manual hubs:

re: Manual hubs, no, no warning lights, just the extra step of having to exit the vehicle and (manually engage) the hubs from (free) to (locked) position for 4x4.

re: any potential 2002 issues vs. other years - No, same procedure.

--
Helpful hints:

Do the procedure in a warm location / in a heated garage / above freezing, to avoid snapping a hub bolt during removal.

Be sure to wipe down all excess grease from the spindle after removing the old auto hubs / before installing the new manual hubs.

* Before final install, clean up any rust on the hub bolt threads using a wire wheel or brush, Use a thin coat of anti-seize lubricant on the hub bolt threads & where the hub mates to the spindle,

Recommend using a torque wrench to tighten the hub bolts, 2-stage, first to 15 ft. lbs. evenly, then final 18-20 ft. lbs. torque.

* Provision to remove and inspect your Warn Manual Hubs at least 1x year / to re-grease if needed, do it late summer each year.

Lots of threads here on Warn manual hub install, the [search] function will bring those up for you here,

Best of luck on the hub install.

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 2 of 2 Posts