Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Explorer Sport , 02 Kia Sportage
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off ... thank you for your time ... I'll make it quick ... I have an 02 Sportage an it has been almost completely redone .. oodles of new parts ... plugs, wires, coils, starter , alternator, fuel pump/filter, Napa timing kit, battery, converter ... heres the deal , it runs pretty decent at low rpms but doesn't have much top end and 2 codes keep coming up P0108 - map/baro circuit high input and P0403 - EGR flow circuit malfunction ... I checked and the dealership doesn't even list an EGR part # for this vehicle and I also have checked all grounds including ECM ... tried a map sensor from my friends runnin Kia that only read an 02 sensor code and it changed nothing, I cleared the codes after installing the sensor and after about 20 seconds ... same codes come up ... I also cleaned the MAF sensor & tried another ECM ... no change ... compression is great ... 160+ on all cylinders ... what could this be ??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone ?? please

I suppose I could have listed symptoms ... it doesn't idle smoothly ... no stalling ... just kind of sputters a little ... sounds almost like a misfire, but all 4 are firing & no codes for a misfire either ... its only getting roughly 18 - 20 mpg and bottom end performance is pretty good up to around 2,500 - 3,000 rpm and then it falls on its face bad ... feels almost like its running on 3 cylinders at higher rpms.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Have you confirmed that the timing is correct? It kind of sounds like the timing belt is off by a tooth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for taking the time to reply and its a good guess, but yes its on the mark ... I done it myself and since have had 2 different garages/mechanics double check it ... I am not certified, but I am pretty decent and it has me as well as many others clueless.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
You casually inserted "converter" in your OP...Is that the catalytic converters?
The symptoms sure sound like plugged cat. If you replaced the first cat the second one may be blocked restricting exhaust.. Can you "drop" the pipe after the first and give it a test drive? ....or can you read the back pressure through the O2 bung hole?
Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... sorry, I should have clarified ... I replaced the second converter and it didn't really help, so I pulled the pipe loose from the one coming off the manifold and punched the guts out of it ... it was bad ... this did help a lot, but it still has no top end power. It kinda stutters at idle ... feels almost like a cylinder is firing, then intermittently cutting in & out ... but its getting consistent fire, fuel pressures good , injectors are pulsating steady ... just don't know ... I found a post last night on how to troubleshoot that map sensor code ... so tom. I will try to check all of that ... I wanna do it now, but its my B-day and I gotta have dinner with the ole lady n do the family thing ... u know how it is ... anyways thank u for the response ... let u guys know what the tests conclude ... I did take the map sensor off yesterday & clean it out with MAF cleaner & it seemed like it helped .. gonna drive it today more and see ... I just don't get the EGR code ... when they have none ??

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
"I replaced the second converter and it didn't really help, so I pulled the pipe loose from the one coming off the manifold and punched the guts out of it ... it was bad ... this did help a lot, but it still has no top end power."

It does sound like a restricted exhaust, either the secondary (main) cat or muffler are clogged / plugged: try disconnecting the exhaust at end of the front pipe / main cat and give it a run, if better, would investigate further..

·
Registered
2007 Rio5, 2012 Sorento EX-V6
113 Posts
Well, something is definitely wrong here,are you sure the ecu is the correct one? Both those codes do not exist for your year. They have a MAF sensor, not a map, and no egr...
Can you clarify when you say you replaced the ecu?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for the responses

yes the computer has all exact matching #s/letters ... Kia dealership told me these were generic codes and as far as the dxhaust goes I punched the guts out of the front converter probably less than 100 miles after the rear one was replaced ... I haven't gauged it, but the exhaust coming out of the muffler is strong & have no reason to believe its restricted ... I drove it again just now & did notice it runs on its face more when it heats up. I will be driving & it feels like it just cuts in & out the whole time ... hills,speed,load makes no difference.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
On the '97 model year DTC diagnostic, it lists replacing the (Main) relay at the end of the list - given you are getting a (voltage low) DTC, you may want to (re)verify good grounds to body/frame and motor from battery, and do some voltage checks to ensure you are getting good power throughout the Sporty..

Don't want to tell you to throw more parts at the issue, but (if it was me) I would consider replacing the Main relay as a diagnostic step..

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
You said you punched out the first cat after replacing the second...

I'm not being a smart a#$ but you did disconnect the first and empty it's guts outside of the exhaust system didn't you? I have read of many posters that "punched" out the first only to clog the second with it's pieces.

There was also a recall on gas tanks rusting on 1996~2002 Sportages...the new fuel pump/filter you installed could be plugged with rust and limiting fuel under higher RPMs...Something to look into...

Recall Info...
Recall SC059 - Fuel Tank Inspection
Model: Sportage
Group: Fuel System(14)
Number: KT2006050901
Date: Thursday, May 11, 2006
Area: N. America
Subject
Service Campaign: 1996-2002 Sportage Fuel
Tank Inspection (SC059)

One response to the EGR valve..(on a 1998 Sportage)
i think it is behind the block on the left u have to take off your whole intake to get to it.
I believe this is true as I recall a picture with the air plenum removed and it was there and there was also a rubber hose that was connected to it that was cracked allowing an air/vacuum leak.

Here's another thought to check out I found on the forum...
" On idle it would immediately stall. And when running at 2K-RPMs or higher, it would throw codes and CEL within 60 seconds of running. But the good news was that the lower end of the engine (which I gambled on and did not check the bearings, seals, etc), sounded good.
It did not take long to figure out what the problem was. The TPS and Idle Control connectors are identical, same modular plug and number of pins. Once again the fact that this was a basket case and I did not take it apart and being my first Kia, the mistake was easy to make. Switched the harnesses and vroom, it idles great.
Also....the production date of this Sportage is 07/2000, "

Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good suggestions ... ty for your time ... but

well the second cat was replaced and then I took the pipe loose at the bend right under it ... pulled it away from the other pipe and hollowed it out good, blew it out with air and then reconnected it ... as far as the grounds go frame,battery and computer grounds have all been checked by like 4 dif. mechanics as well as me ... all good ... tight connections, no corrosion ... and the relay you said shows a low input code,but mines showing a high ... the EGR I am not sure ... I do not recall seeing one when my upper intake was off, but I may be wrong ...I don't see it having one though & no part # for one at Kia or none on ebay ... I honestly believe its electrical ... I 'm just not sure where to look with these being generic codes ... I don't want to pay $ 180 for the map sensor and it not fix it ... by the way where is the map sensor ?? a pic would be great if possible ... the 2 sensors that the plugs will interchange with each other on the upper intake ...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told the one facing the front nearest the drivers side was the map sensor, yet when I unplug it the engine idles up ... & when I do swap the 2 plugs on them it runs a lil better, but they are on correctly ... even though it ran better I was afraid it may mess something up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nevermind everyone ... sold it today !! ... never woulda let her go if I coulda got her runnin right though ... gonna miss her though !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts