Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a base model (no a.c. no p.s. etc) 02 rio from a crappy used car lot... I've heard they have bushings that go bad with the shifter itself, considering I can push the gear selector into 1st and then swing it all the way to 5th (same with 2nd to reverse) I'll assume it's true. Just want to know if there's anyway I can fix this without spending an arm and a leg, anyone else having the same issue? What is the part name/number? anyway this can be a DIY project (I am mechanically inclined.. I didn't buy the base model because I enjoy sweltering 100 degree heat with no a.c. I apologize if there's info I'm leaving out that I should enter. Any support would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Dave, however I'm just looking for part name/number, aside from basic tuneup parts I try to only purchase through manufacturer. I also do most my own work so I'm curious to know if this job is a major hassle or something minor I can do myself, is this something extremely common, and how often (mileage/ months) does this happen? As it sits I sometimes have issues hitting 2nd and 4th. I bought the car with about 149,000 and it now has around 157,000 (owned about 6 months). This is my first Kia, and so far (minus the shifter) I have found it to be a pleasant economical vehicle. I can't say it's all that great on looks either though.... Just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
If you can wait....(the supplier will be back in August) the polyurethane parts are much better than the original OEM designed "rubber" parts. Tighter shifting and better wear resistance. Sometimes "original" parts are NOT the best answer...

You said " I can't say it's all that great on looks either though..."
I drive an 06 Spectra SX that has a "Rebuilt Salvage" title... I say you don't drive the title...you drive the car... I guess you could say that for "looks" also :)

Look into changing the timing/cam belt also UNLESS you KNOW it's been changed within the last 60k miles/5 years.... Lots of RIOs of your vintage died a NASTY death because of a broken belt...

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts