Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Rio, recently the engine slowed right down and the car crawled along at about 5 mph, got it back to my local garage, the engine compartment was very hot, mechanic thought it was perhaps a blocked catylst converter. When looked at the next day, engine started fine and run OK, He couldnt find anyhing wrong with it, the cat seemed fine, told me to drive it til it occurrred again, has happened today , left car for several hours and seems fine again. Has anyone any idea what the problem maybe

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Without knowing your location or the temps. in your area, suggest checking the coolant overflow tank to make sure it has coolant to the (min) level, engine cold, and removing the radiator cap -> checking to make sure there is coolant all the way to the top of the radiator,

If the issue occurs again, take note of the coolant temp gauge, if above normal - turn A/C off, move heater control to (Hot), and run blower on high/max. setting to draw heat out of the system / until you can safely pull over to let the vehicle cool down..

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Hey zinnia48, Do what gotacruise says. Also any check engine light? How did the mechanic check the cat's there are 2. I had my 2nd cat block up. It would go down hills like crazy but going up forget it no power at all. It sorta started like you say, let it cool down and it ran fine for awhile but then it got so bad over time. I think about 130k on it at the time. busted out the 2nd cat problem solved thanks from the great help on this site your in a good place here. The first code i got was p0304 then p0300 I changed the plugs,wires,fuel pump and filter no good. Please fill out your profile so we can help better. Maybe fuel system issue filter? just some thought's good luck and keep us informed. Reguard's ronjohn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts