Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping someone would maybe be able to possibly shed some light on the possible problem here. Okay so, my moms car is an 02 Kia Spectra. She hasn't been able to drive for 3 weeks so far and since the car was started once and driven another. The car started fine both times, right up no problem what so ever... Or so I thought. We drove the car to the store, was in the store for 5 minutes, came out and the car wouldn't start. The battery isn't dead, just nothing would happen. After some time of messing around checking fuses, switching around relays it still didn't work. We juggled the gear selector around in Park and tried again and it started right up. Now yesterday my mom took the car for a drive around our parking lot, it started up fine, turned it off, and tried to turn it back on with no luck again.
I believe she said she spilled something sticky on the gear selection because it is hard to move through the gears... Is it possible that whatever was spilled in there could be keeping something from engaging causing the car not to start?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
I will presume that from you mentioning "Park" she has an automatic... There is a start safety interlock switch that will keep you from starting the car when not in Park or Neutral. It interrupts the current flow to the starter.... Have you tried starting it in neutral also? It sounds like that switch may be your problem....
On my 06 Spectra it is located on top of the transmission (under the hood). Your's may be internal by the selector linkage and may have been damaged from what ever sticky fluid she got in it.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will presume that from you mentioning "Park" she has an automatic... There is a start safety interlock switch that will keep you from starting the car when not in Park or Neutral. It interrupts the current flow to the starter.... Have you tried starting it in neutral also? It sounds like that switch may be your problem....
On my 06 Spectra it is located on top of the transmission (under the hood). Your's may be internal by the selector linkage and may have been damaged from what ever sticky fluid she got in it.
Dave
My mistake, yes, it is an automatic. And the car started right up in neutral. Knowing her she spilled gatorade and it managed to leak into the linkage. I took the center console out, and wiped what i could of the linkage with water to get whatever sticky stuff was on there off. But the car battery ended up dying now, so i need to get the battery charged... We jumped it and got it running and than a little later came back out to move the car and it died again..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts