Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, i'm new here and i'd like to know why my wife's car is dying at stop signs or lights.Sometimes the idle is fine and as soon as we put it in D or R the car wants to die or just dies. Sometimes while we're cruising at the highway at 65 mph if i don't keep my foot on the gas pedal the rpms start bouncing from 2500 rpms to 2000 rpms,like it wants to die but it won't .

We have changed plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter. Anyone with this symptom? or any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a similar problem. Mine would stall when it was cold as I pulled out of the driveway and let off the gas. Turned out that the dealer said the place I took it to to have the tune up done didn't gap the plugs right. It was running rich and had badly clogged injectors. Took one look at the plugs they pulled out and whole heartedly agreed with them... I only had about 13000 miles on the plugs. Had them replace the plugs and clean the injectors and it runs great now. Maybe try having the injectors cleaned. Also, there was a ECM recall on my 01 rio for I similar problem I believe. Perhaps there is also 1 on your 02? Call the dealership and ask, they'd know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took the car to the dealership, they changed the plugs and the car was fine for 4,5 days. Now just started doing the same thing and the car feels real slow.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
107 Posts
I don't understand the plug thing but it sounds like it is starving for fuel. Like beotch said, maybe it is the fuel injectors. You wouldn't have anything to lose by pouring some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank.

Maybe there's a problem with the fuel pump?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar thing happens to my aunt's '02 rio every once in a while, it's usually while idling in gear at a light or similar situation. In fact, I was with her when she bought it new and it did it for the first time when she was pulling off the lot, after the paperwork was signed of course! Has about 45k miles now and doesn't do it more or less often than it always has.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts