Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 sportage 4 cyl, the 4x4 shifter goes in and out of high and low range and the light comes on, but neither front wheel drives ? I spent good money on a manual but it doesn't have any info on the 4x4 engagement system ??? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
If you have vacuum locking hubs the problem may vacuum supply.
Start by checking all the vacuum hoses and lines from the intake manifold to the wheels. Look for broken hoses or rusty lines.
The hoses that run from the steel line behind the tire to slip on fitting on the spindle. If all is well the problem may be in the hub itself ( a very common problem ) , most opt to replace them with manual locking hubs.
You can read the many post on this web site going into more detail.
Check out kgis on internet explorer only , its all about kias and free to register.
Chief

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
I would narrow the problem down starting at the hub. Support the front of the vehicle, disconnect the vacuum line at the hub, apply vacuum to the hub with a mighty vac, see if it holds vacuum. If it holds vacuum, then, with the vacuum applied spin the wheel and see if the entire axle spins. Work back from there. This of course only applies if you have vacuum operated hubs.

·
Registered
2003 Sportage
12 Posts
having done this on two sportages (one 2002, one 2003) my tips are:

- Check the vacuum hoses. Look behind the front wheels/tyres. You will find a black hose that runs from the engine side of the mudgaurd to the back of the wheel/hub. If this hose has cracks in it or is completely broken then get new hoses. Genuine ones in Australia cost about $25ea from a Kia dealer. You could buy hose from the local auto shop and cut to length etc but the genuine ones come ready to fit.

- If the hoses are fine, then check the vacuum solenoid. You will find this on the LHS of the engine. There will be a hose (like the ones on the wheels) that comes from the top of the engine to a black container (air filter) which is a bit smaller than a beer/coke can. The hose will come out of the top of it and then into a smaller cylinder. A bit bigger than a wine cork.

This smaller cylinder is the solenoid. Take the "out" hose off of the solenoid. Start the engine and with the 4x4 lever in 2x4 there should be no suction on the "out" side of the solenoid. Put the lever in 4x4, the light on the dash should come on and there should be suction at the "out" hole. If all good then the solenoid is fine. if not you may need to replace it.

- if the solenoid is good and the hoses are good then your hubs are where the issue is. You may choose to swap the vacuum hubs with manual hubs but this will mean you have to get out of the car to engage 4x4.

- If the solenoid is good, but hoses are no good you will probably have dirt and other muck in the vacuum lines and hubs. You will need to blow out this junk with a compressor and may need to clean the lines out with brushcutter cord or similar.

- Chances are your hoses are perished and you will just need to give everything a clean up. This is all we had to do on both of our sportages and they now work in 4x4 as they are meant to.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Very good information WOODWARDBRETT! :)

Best fix could be to replace with Warn manuals or autos. The autos are spendy but if you don't want to get out to of the car to lock the hubs they are the ticket.

...just wondering if early 95-97 stock ones would work???? You could get them from a pick and pull and save a few $$$. If you're not going off road, they might work.:confused:

IMHO I would go with WARN manuals and be done with it. You may want to change the bearings when you do it because the vacuum hub seals are known to leak and can suck all types of crap into your bearings.:eek:
One reason you may want to choose Warn Manuals is I read that in CANADA Kia did a recall on the vacuum ones and replaced them with Warn Manuals.

Here is a good read:

4x4Wire's TrailTalk Forums: READ FIRST IF YOUR 4WD DOES NOT WORK

Keep us posted on what you decide.

UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
01 Sportage 2 dr 4x4
9 Posts
Most common problem is the seals wear out in the wheel hubs for the vacuum to hold. As stated above using the pump to check can confirm this.

Best route, replace em with Warn manual hubs turn dial and they are engaged no autoMaybe to worry about. best price for them is off Amazon. Only thing I did not like the hub cap will have to be cut to go over and access the manual hub. I did not do it after trying to cut em in my lathe, plastic hard to chuck up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts