Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question has probably be answered 1000 times but im running out of time and wanted to give the correct variables to the problem. first off im new here im on a couple other forums names is Brian and im from Baltimore! I recently bought my girlfriend a 01 kia sportage 4wd. the trans is shifting very high 5500 area. the guy i bought it from told me the 1 to 2 solenoid was bad ordered new solenoid still waiting on it, then i notice it has a kick-down cable and its obviously been adjusted or tampered with. returned it to what looks like oem setting (from oxidation on bolt). still shifting high if I hit the hold button it shifts which makes me think it is in fact the solenoid. looking for any input you guys have, Thank you!

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
I don't have the owner's manual in front of me at the moment, but I thought I remembered reading that the hold function would still let the trans shift up one gear at high RPMs. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will chime in soon.

Another thing to note about the trans, if you didn't know already, is that 4th gear gets locked out when the engine is cold until it warms up to 90-something degrees F.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Looked it up in the owner's manual and here's what HOLD mode does:

When in D: Trans is held in 3rd but will downshift to 2nd when stopped.

When in 2: Trans stays in 2nd but will downshift to 1st when stopped.

When in L: Trans stays in 1st.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HOLD button finally makes sense now, thank you. This is coming from 1st to 2nd. Im beginning to think its the solenoid maybe sticking or something. Kia parts overstock is supposedly overnighting the part because they mailed me a paint pen on accident. (My luck) but thank you guys been a great help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts