Kia Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Coolant Temp Sensor

Has anyone had any difficulty with replacing theirs? I know it's a 19mm, but my problem is there is no clearance from any position to get a wrench or socket onto it. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how they got theirs changed? Thank you.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
195 Posts
Socket, forget about a wrench. You can't get in there without damaging something. Deep thin wall socket and maybe a 6" extinction.

Sent from my Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
So I replaced the thermostat and the gasket as well as the CTS. Now I get code p0117. Could that cause a no start?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ok so I redid the timing my problem now is the tensioner and the other pulley. The other pulley seems to be getting grinded by the part where the tensioner spring connects to. Also is this part supposed to rotate when the belt turns?

The tensioner doesnt rotate freely when I started the engine. It rotates freely when I loosen the bolt but any slight bit of tightening it stops rotating. When I loosen the bolt it rotates but of course the bolt starts to back out as it rotates. I've seen other posts say its supposed to rotate when the engine turns the belt. Is that correct?

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
195 Posts
Missing a spacer on the back side or is the pulley on backwards. When the bolt is tight it locks the pulley in place, should rotate freely.

Sent from my Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Not sure on the policy of resurrecting old threads. If not allowed please move to correct section.

UPDATE: So I finally gave up and paid a mechanic to work on the sportage for me. So after he redid the timing still had the same issue I had with the temp sensor. Well he got it to run but he said the connector for the tps and the iac were swapped causing it to burn out both sensors. How do I test either of these sensors to verify they are indeed faulty?

I'm just wondering because it's been this way since before I bought this suv and it ran great prior to the timing belt breaking. TYIA

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,847 Posts
Not sure on the policy of resurrecting old threads. If not allowed please move to correct section.

UPDATE: So I finally gave up and paid a mechanic to work on the sportage for me. So after he redid the timing still had the same issue I had with the temp sensor. Well he got it to run but he said the connector for the tps and the iac were swapped causing it to burn out both sensors. How do I test either of these sensors to verify they are indeed faulty?

I'm just wondering because it's been this way since before I bought this suv and it ran great prior to the timing belt breaking. TYIA
Don't you believe the mechanic?

If he's a qualified mechanic why can't he test it?

Is it a certified mechanic - it sure doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Don't you believe the mechanic?

If he's a qualified mechanic why can't he test it?

Is it a certified mechanic - it sure doesn't sound like it.
I honestly hadn't asked. I'll ask him to test them in front of me this time. He usually just calls me as it's at his shop

61 - 74 of 74 Posts