Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So just replace the timing belt and I should be good right? Anything I should know before taking everything apart?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,847 Posts
So just replace the timing belt and I should be good right? Anything I should know before taking everything apart?
Because this is a non-interference engine, it should run with a replacement timing belt, if that's the only thing wrong with it right now.

Just out of curiosity, do you plan on doing this, or some other mechanic?

You've had one mechanic install a new belt and all rollers etc., why is it still showing signs that the timing belt is gone?

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No clue. Should I take it back to the mechanic that installed the first belt and ask him why? Or just replace it myself? I'm capable of doing it myself but now I feel cheated by the other mechanic

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,847 Posts
No clue. Should I take it back to the mechanic that installed the first belt and ask him why? Or just replace it myself? I'm capable of doing it myself but now I feel cheated by the other mechanic
Do you really think that he has integrity and would do the right thing, ........ that is if he's actually a mechanic.

Do you realise that changing the belt is a whole lot more complicated than changing the plugs, which you didn't appear to figure out how that's done.

I think your safest bet is to find an independent shop in your area that has a good reputation.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Do you really think that he has integrity and would do the right thing, ........ that is if he's actually a mechanic.

Do you realise that changing the belt is a whole lot more complicated than changing the plugs, which you didn't appear to figure out how that's done.

I think your safest bet is to find an independent shop in your area that has a good reputation.
Actually I am a mechanic been working on cars for over 2 years now. I went to Uti. This is just the first Kia I've owned or even attempted to work on I mostly work on hondas

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Aux belt tensioner pulley

Ok so I got my timing belt replaced but now the problem I am having is when I put the belt on and tighten up the bolt on the pulley the belt still has some slack in it. Is the bolt on the bottom supposed to be screwed all the way in to allow for more tension? Also the thick washer on the back of the pulley can anyone tell me where I may find another one of those or is that something I would need to get from a salvage yard?

Attachments

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
195 Posts
If the adjuster screw is bottomed out and still have play in the belt, time for a new belt. Can't say about that washer, junk yard or new $$$ tensioner pulley.

Sent from my Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
Have you tried starting it just a test after the timing belt install, and did you find anything wrong with the old timing belt?

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yea the teeth on the old belt were worn on part of the belt. They were gone

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
Yea the teeth on the old belt were worn on part of the belt. They were gone
What does the so called mechanic have to say about the "new timing belt" he installed?

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What does the so called mechanic have to say about the "new timing belt" he installed?
I took the belt down there to him and he tried to tell me that it must have gotten worn out during installation. Turns out he never even took it into his shop to look at it. He knew I couldn't see the part where the grooves on the belt had worn off because it was down below the crankshaft pulley. When I showed him the belt he looked dumbfounded and now I'm having to take him to small claims court because he refused to give me my money back as he states he "fixed" what was broken.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Have you tried starting it just a test after the timing belt install, and did you find anything wrong with the old timing belt?
I never considered trying to start it without putting that belt back on because I didn't want to risk breaking anything else. I'ma try that

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
I took the belt down there to him and he tried to tell me that it must have gotten worn out during installation. Turns out he never even took it into his shop to look at it. He knew I couldn't see the part where the grooves on the belt had worn off because it was down below the crankshaft pulley. When I showed him the belt he looked dumbfounded and now I'm having to take him to small claims court because he refused to give me my money back as he states he "fixed" what was broken.
Next time do a search for local independent service centre, or Kia dealership, and select one based on reviews - sounds like you used a real shady place.

Best assemble just the bare minimum for a test start, not the timing belt covers, aux belt etc. - if something's not right you can check it out without pulling off all that stuff.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Next time do a search for local independent service centre, or Kia dealership, and select one based on reviews - sounds like you used a real shady place.

Best assemble just the bare minimum for a test start, not the timing belt covers, aux belt etc. - if something's not right you can check it out without pulling off all that stuff.
The guy I used is one of the local independent center owners around here. He used to manage the one down the street that everyone frequents until he started his own shop. I figured his new shop had enough 5 star reviews that I could trust his work but I see I was wrong.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
195 Posts
It should run, as long as the timing components are buttoned up. I learned you can't run one without the balancer installed, belt walked off the crank gear.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It should run, as long as the timing components are buttoned up. I learned you can't run one without the balancer installed, belt walked off the crank gear.

How long should it run? It started but cuts off immediately. It will start again right after but do the same thing. Could that be because everything's not installed yet? Or would that be timing?

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
How long should it run? It started but cuts off immediately. It will start again right after but do the same thing. Could that be because everything's not installed yet? Or would that be timing?
What do you mean by everything is not installed yet, to start and run the engine for a good few minutes you do not need the water pump, alternator, AC compressor, etc. , ......... just a reasonably charged battery.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

That's the video I made of what it is doing. Should I recheck the timing? It starts for like a second and shuts off again. The fuel pump was replaced before the timing belt was replaced.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts