Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned it on and got ready to pull out of the parking space when it died on me. Tried adding fuel bc it was low, no go. Can anyone suggest where to start? Can the fuel pump or relay die with the car running?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,847 Posts
I turned it on and got ready to pull out of the parking space when it died on me. Tried adding fuel bc it was low, no go. Can anyone suggest where to start? Can the fuel pump or relay die with the car running?

What's the mileage and service history?

When last was the timing belt replaced?

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May not hurt to check and see if any codes set in the engine control module.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
Went to autozone the code the computer read was cylinder 3 misfire they suggested replacing the fuel injector. The other was a coolant temp sensor code but I replaced it already

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,847 Posts
No clue about the timing belt and around 180k but I can verify when I get home.
The most common sudden death cause is the timing belt failure.

A quick and easy first step in the diagnosis is to try starter fluid.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
195 Posts
Use carb cleaner, safer than starting fluid, won't blow the head off. Should sound different when trying to start also if jumped timing or belt breaks.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
195 Posts
Went to autozone the code the computer read was cylinder 3 misfire they suggested replacing the fuel injector. The other was a coolant temp sensor code but I replaced it already

If timing is ok, I wouldn't jump in and replace fuel injector, I'd inspect plug, also use a spark tester to test coil for good blue spark. A few sparks then nothing is considered no spark and possibly a bad coil. I've also replaced my temp sensor and thermostat on my but still sets a code for thermostat below threshold. Only thing reads low is my gauge, sets around 170, ecm reads 200 at operating temp.

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
Bear in mind that may be an old stored code, and the suggestion to move ahead with an injector replacement without proper diagnostics is what you may expect from an Autozone clerk - there's multiple possibilities, and some like a plug, coil or HT lead more likely than an injector.

Anyway, your current problem is not a "misfire", its a no start, so suggest the steps in my previous post.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The most common sudden death cause is the timing belt failure.

A quick and easy first step in the diagnosis is to try starter fluid.
Where do I spray the starting fluid? I've never dealt with timing before

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
Where do I spray the starting fluid? I've never dealt with timing before
You can open the air filter housing and spray it into/down the intake tube, or if you find a convenient place on the intake manifold, ........ whatever's convenient to get some of it into the intake when cranking and attempting a start.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can open the air filter housing and spray it into/down the intake tube, or if you find a convenient place on the intake manifold, ........ whatever's convenient to get some of it into the intake when cranking and attempting a start.
I'm having it towed to my house I bought a compression tester, and spark tester should I start there if the starting fluid doesn't work?

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
I'm having it towed to my house I bought a compression tester, and spark tester should I start there if the starting fluid doesn't work?
The starter fluid is the easiest to try, so do that first, and if it doesn't start with that, do a compression test.

If it doesn't start, you could open the oil filler in the cam cover and using a flash light watch to see if the cams rotate while someone cranks it, if they're no moving, no point in going further.

To be confirmed, but I recall your engine is non-interference, so if a TB is gone, put another one on and it should run.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so still a no go I've changed the timing belt, water pump and pulleys that came with the kit. Replaced the spark plugs and the battery. So I was in the process taking the fuel pump out and once I got down to the last screw it was stripped badly by a previous owner I assume. So I got a screw extractor and tried it but theirs not enough clearance. Will I have to drop the fuel tank to complete this or can anyone suggest any tips? In the pic its beside that line. TYIA

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spark plug location?

Do I really have to remove all of those parts just to get to the spark plugs? If so can anyone point me in the direction to do so? Any tips? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
Ok so still a no go I've changed the timing belt, water pump and pulleys that came with the kit. Replaced the spark plugs and the battery. So I was in the process taking the fuel pump out and once I got down to the last screw it was stripped badly by a previous owner I assume. So I got a screw extractor and tried it but theirs not enough clearance. Will I have to drop the fuel tank to complete this or can anyone suggest any tips? In the pic its beside that line. TYIA
Do I really have to remove all of those parts just to get to the spark plugs? If so can anyone point me in the direction to do so? Any tips? Thank you
Something doesn't sound right here!!!!!

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Something doesn't sound right here!!!!!
Maybe I should have been more clear I took it to a mechanic who said he replaced the spark plugs. Now I want to see if the coils are firing or not. I also want to verify he indeed changed the plugs. All other work was performed by me. Question though when I shined a flash light in the oil filler the cams dont move any cause of that?

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
Maybe I should have been more clear I took it to a mechanic who said he replaced the spark plugs. Now I want to see if the coils are firing or not. I also want to verify he indeed changed the plugs. All other work was performed by me. Question though when I shined a flash light in the oil filler the cams dont move any cause of that?
The timing belt is gone, so don't even bother checking the plugs.

Yes, you need to take off the intake and the black cover below it to get at the coils and plugs.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts